Two-Person Game Theory by Rapoport

In summary, the retiree found a copy of Two-Person Game Theory by Rapoport and asked if it is an acceptable reading on the topic. Another person recommended The Compleat Stategyst by CD Williams, which they think is more readable and at a lower level than Rapoport. They also shared a link to a downloadable copy of the book from RAND Corporation.
Frabjous
Gold Member
From a retiree’s stack of left behind books, I picked up a copy of Two-Person Game Theory (1966) by Rapoport. Is this an acceptable first (and possibly only) reading on the topic?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is good. One of my favorites though is, The Compleat Stategyst, by CD Williams. (I think). It is very lighthearted and much more readable, at perhaps a little lower level than Rapoport.

Likes Frabjous
mpresic3 said:
It is good. One of my favorites though is, The Compleat Stategyst, by CD Williams. (I think). It is very lighthearted and much more readable, at perhaps a little lower level than Rapoport.

This looks kind of interesting. For anyone so inclined, the RAND Corporation has made a downloadable copy of _Compleat Stratagyst_ freely available:

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/commercial_books/2007/RAND_CB113-1.pdf

--diogenesNY

Likes DrClaude and Frabjous

1. What is Two-Person Game Theory by Rapoport?

Two-Person Game Theory by Rapoport is a mathematical model used to analyze decision-making in situations where two individuals or groups have conflicting interests and must make strategic choices.

2. Who is Anatol Rapoport?

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American psychologist and mathematician who is best known for his contributions to game theory, conflict resolution, and systems thinking. He developed the Two-Person Game Theory as a way to understand and predict behavior in competitive situations.

3. How does Two-Person Game Theory work?

Two-Person Game Theory uses mathematical models to analyze the actions and decisions of two individuals or groups in a competitive situation. It takes into account factors such as the preferences, goals, and strategies of each player to predict the most likely outcome of the game.

4. What are some real-world applications of Two-Person Game Theory?

Two-Person Game Theory has been applied to various fields such as economics, political science, and psychology. It has been used to analyze negotiations between countries, pricing strategies in business, and decision-making in social interactions.

5. What are the limitations of Two-Person Game Theory?

Two-Person Game Theory assumes that both players have perfect information and make rational decisions, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also does not account for external factors or changing dynamics during the game, which can affect the outcome. Additionally, it may not be applicable to games with more than two players.