Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two quotient groups implying Cartesian product?

1. Apr 5, 2015 #1
    Assume that [itex]G[/itex] is some group with two normal subgroups [itex]H_1[/itex] and [itex]H_2[/itex]. Assuming that the group is additive, we also assume that [itex]H_1\cap H_2=\{0\}[/itex], [itex]H_1=G/H_2[/itex] and [itex]H_2=G/H_1[/itex] hold. The question is that is [itex]G=H_1\times H_2[/itex] the only possibility (up to an isomorphism) now?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2015 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think if the representation [itex] G= H_1 \times H_2 [/ itex] is unique, then G can be expressed as a semidirect product.

4. Apr 5, 2015 #3
    I think I managed to prove the claim by using the projections [itex]G\to H_1[/itex] and [itex]G\to H_2[/itex] given by the assumptions, under the assumption [itex]\#G<\infty[/itex], which I did not mention above. Since I was the one asking this, there is probably no need for me to post the full proof, and this will remain as a challenge to the rest. The case [itex]\#G=\infty[/itex] remains open.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook