Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Two terrorist attacks in two days

Tags:
  1. Jan 14, 2016 #1

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Two terrorist attacks in two days in two far separated countries:
    1) On 12/01/2016, a suicide bomb detonated among a group of German tourists taking 10 lives.
    http://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/2016/01/12/turkey-suicide-bomb-kills-10-isis-damon-lead.cnn

2) Today another suicidal attack struck the capital of Indonesia, Jakarta. This one killed at least 6 people, 5 of them are the terrorists, one other a foreigner (according to CNN a Dutch national). The blast occured on Thamrin street, home to several foreign embassies and a shopping district.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/13/asia/jakarta-gunfire-explosions/

In both incidents, IS is suspected to have connection. Up to now, as far as I know, no group has explicitly claimed responsibility.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2016 #2

Borg

Gold Member

I believe that ISIS did claim responsibility for the Turkish attack.

4. Jan 14, 2016 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Any credible source please? I do remember reading that the criminal was an ISIS member smuggled as a Syrian refugee, but I thought that didn't come from internal source in ISIS.
    thanks in advance.

5. Jan 14, 2016 #4

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

In the case of the attack in Indonesia, it has been speculated that IS may have been involved (although no group has claimed responsibility), but one cannot rule out homegrown terrorist groups. For example, Jemaah Islamiyah (JI), a homegrown terrorist group that had been operating in Indonesia, Malaysia, southern Thailand, and the southern Philippines and affiliated with al-Qaeda (and were implicated in the 2002 Bali bombing) continues to be active in spite of their operational capability being degraded considerably by counter-terrorist operations in Malaysia and Indonesia.

One possibility is that there could be existing surviving members of homegrown terrorist groups in Indonesia like JI who have reconstituted themselves and allied themselves to IS (as has been known to happen in countries like Afghanistan, where former al-Qaeda and Taliban members have pledged themselves to IS).

Granted, everything I've written above are all speculation on my part, so you can take it for what it's worth.

6. Jan 14, 2016 #5

Borg

Gold Member

My mistake. I confused the statements from the Turkish government blaming ISIL for the attack with ISIL actually taking the blame. Unfortunately, there are so many attacks and atrocities by ISIL that it's hard to keep track of them all...

7. Jan 14, 2016 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I must acknowledge that after the Bali event in 2002, there has been an on-going rise in the "pursuit" of Islamic knowledge among people who were, in prior to this incident, not very knowledgeable about their religion. More and more people, especially those around their 20-25, are getting attracted to pursue the teaching of this religion. I don't exactly know how this phenomena might have its root connected to Bali bombing, but it is happening. In one side, it's a good outcome when one views it from its potential of warding off this group of age from being fallen into street rascals if it turned out that they can't find a well-paying job after graduating from highschool (one of the teachings is to abstain oneself from hurting others). In the worse side, however, the fact that these new Islam learners have not had strong foundation on the straight Islamic teaching makes them very susceptible to fall into radicals, those who blindly become a zealot to their superior. They would easily believe in anything their misleading teachers say, and these falsely led apprentices are the promising seeds of those terrorist.
    Another possibility would be the returning battle volunteer from previously or currently warring states like Syria or Egypt. This speculation is based on a CNN article, though.

8. Jan 15, 2016 #7

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

9. Jan 15, 2016 #8

mheslep

Gold Member

WSJ graphic front page today. IS attacks outside Syria with fatalities since 2014. Includes Jakarta attack.

OJ-AE918__INDOB_16U_20160115011520.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook