1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Types of Applied Math Grad School?

1. Mar 6, 2013 #1
    I was wondering what are the main types of "applied math" I could choose to study in grad school and how I can know which one I would enjoy most?

Math Classes I loved were:
    linear algebra, number theory, intro to real analysis, discrete math, intro to abstract alg

Classes I disliked were:
    Probability, Diff Eq ( used boyce and diprima so maybe my dislike doesn't reflect a dislike of the subject as a whole, but rather a dislike of the particular class), Calculuses (once again classes focused on rote learning)

Still to take:
    Abstract Alg, Real Analysis, and some applied math classes (suggestions?)

So how can I know what type of applied math is right for me?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2013 #2
    Sounds like you are going for the opposite of what you like. The things you listed that you like are generally pure math (except linear algebra, can be both), and the things you listed as dislikes are all applied courses.

*off topic: awesome name, I am reading the Great Hunt

4. Mar 6, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You really don't have enough experience right now to be able to tell what will be for you and what not. I suggest taking quite some applied math classes such as dynamical systems, PDEs, statistics, modeling, numerical analysis/linear algebra. Taking some programming won't hurt either.

Only by taking those courses (or perhaps self-studying them), can you know whether you will like applied math and what you will specifically like.

Then you have quite some fun times ahead of you. Personally, I found the first books to be the worst (but still good). It really gets a lot better in the later books.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook