Tips for Solving Typesetting Problems in LaTeX

• Thread starter tomfitzyuk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Typesetting
In summary, Tom is struggling with using LaTeX and is looking for tips, examples, tutorials, or book recommendations to help him with formatting equations and symbols. He shares an example of how he would like his layout to look and asks for advice on how to achieve it. He also shares his current code and mentions that it is inefficient and not to his liking.
tomfitzyuk
Hey,

I'm trying to learn how to use LaTeX and while I think it's easy how to form equations and symbols, the thing I find most difficult is laying things out how I'd prefer.

I wanted it to look like this but couldn't work out how to do it, if anybody has any tips, examples, tutorials or book recommendations, please post them.

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/7452/hmm6lw.jpg

BTW, the vertical line is not supposed to be there, please ignore it.

Thanks in Advance
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Assuming you are doing this in a .tex file (not on a forum), the code would look like this:

$\begin{enumerate}\item\begin{enumerate}\item Type what you want here for part 1a.\item 1b goes here...\end{enumerate}\item Now you're on 2\begin{enumerate}\item 2a is here\end{enumerate}\end{enumerate}$

Thanks for the reply, what you posted enabled me to be able to do a lot but it's not my most preferred layout, is this possible?

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4580/example7kf.jpg

The lines just show how I would prefer it to be aligned. In particular I would want the equation to start on the line of the item.

My code is:
\begin{enumerate}
\item $ z_1 = 1 + i \\
z_2 = 2 - 3i \\
z_3 = 4 + 4i $

\item[i.]
\begin{eqnarray*}
z_1 + z_2 + z_3 &=& (1 + i) + (2 - 3i) + (4 + 4i) \\
&=& 7 + 2i
\end{eqnarray*}

\item[ii.]
\begin{eqnarray*}
2z_1 + 4z_3 &=& 2(1 + i) + 4(4 + 4i) \\
&=& 2 + 2i + 16 + 16i \\
&=& 18 + 18i
\end{eqnarray*}

\item[iii.]
\begin{eqnarray*}
z_3 - z_1 &=& (4 + 4i) - (1 + i) \\
&=& 3 + 3i
\end{eqnarray*}

\end{enumerate}

Which I think is quite inefficient (too much typing per equation, I don't mean the symbols, the whole formatting of each equation, maybe this is just what LaTeX is like) and not to my liking.

Does anybody have any tips?

Thanks in Advance
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is LaTeX and why is it used for typesetting?

LaTeX is a typesetting program designed for creating high-quality documents and publications. It is widely used in the scientific and academic communities for its ability to handle complex mathematical equations and produce professional-looking documents.

2. What are some common typesetting problems that can arise in LaTeX?

Some common typesetting problems in LaTeX include issues with formatting, such as incorrect spacing or alignment, as well as errors with fonts or special characters not appearing correctly. Another common problem is getting the desired layout or design for the document.

3. How can I troubleshoot typesetting problems in LaTeX?

One helpful approach is to divide and conquer - isolate the problematic section or code and try to fix it. Checking for missing or incorrect syntax, as well as using built-in LaTeX commands for formatting, can also help resolve issues. Online resources and forums can also provide solutions to common typesetting problems.

4. What are some tips for avoiding typesetting problems in LaTeX?

First, it is important to have a clear understanding of the LaTeX syntax and commands before attempting to typeset a document. It is also helpful to break up large documents into smaller sections to make troubleshooting easier. Additionally, using templates or pre-built packages can help ensure consistency and avoid potential errors.

5. Are there any resources or tools available to assist with typesetting in LaTeX?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available for LaTeX typesetting. Some popular tools include LaTeX editors, such as TeXstudio or Overleaf, which provide a user-friendly interface and real-time preview of the document. There are also online forums and communities where users can seek help and advice for typesetting problems.