Solving a proof on an exam and looking for possible resources to bring to it

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
pantrwrstl
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Have my first physics exam Thursday which I am told consists of 6 questions and one proof.
I am curious on thoughts of what a proof on an exam may consist of, and it there is any pages or books I could reference to give me some basic proofs or ideas of what I may see on the exam and how to work them out.

For the exam I am allowed to bring in any book or paper material to which I desire, so anything but a computer, phone, etc...I plan to bring Physics Problem Solver, Physics for dummies, and My textbook: Fundamentals of Physics 9th-Halliday, to which the test is on the first 4 chapters: Measurments, Motion along a straight line, Vectors, Motion in two and three space. So if anyone could help me with what possible proofs may lay in waiting or recommend any other resoursces I could bring to this exam, please do so. My teacher promises, and I have heard nothing other than, his exams are extremely difficult and consist of very complex problems, and will be nothing short of miserable for everyone. We are given an unlimited amount of time to finish the exam, but I don't feel like staying there and working on it all night.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Work-Energy Theorem.

Centripetal acceleration = v2/r towards the center if the circle.
 
The only proof I can think of off the top of my head is the apple and archer proof; the question is here: http://www.alexpleasehelp.com/online/problems/arrowapple"

To make it a proof, you basically have to show that as long as the arrow is fired at the apple at its starting position, and both the apple drop and the arrow is fired at the same time, the arrow will always hit the apple.

Hope this helps.
 
Last edited by a moderator: