Solving a proof on an exam and looking for possible resources to bring to it

In summary, the conversation discusses the upcoming physics exam which will have 6 questions and one proof. The individual is seeking advice on what the proof may consist of and any recommended resources to prepare. They are allowed to bring in books and papers, and plan to bring Physics Problem Solver, Physics for dummies, and their textbook on the first 4 chapters. The teacher is known for giving difficult and complex exams. The individual also mentions the Work-Energy Theorem and the proof involving an apple and archer. They seek clarification on how to make this a proof and ensure the arrow hits the apple.
pantrwrstl
Have my first physics exam Thursday which I am told consists of 6 questions and one proof.
I am curious on thoughts of what a proof on an exam may consist of, and it there is any pages or books I could reference to give me some basic proofs or ideas of what I may see on the exam and how to work them out.

For the exam I am allowed to bring in any book or paper material to which I desire, so anything but a computer, phone, etc...I plan to bring Physics Problem Solver, Physics for dummies, and My textbook: Fundamentals of Physics 9th-Halliday, to which the test is on the first 4 chapters: Measurments, Motion along a straight line, Vectors, Motion in two and three space. So if anyone could help me with what possible proofs may lay in waiting or reccomend any other resoursces I could bring to this exam, please do so. My teacher promises, and I have heard nothing other than, his exams are extremely difficult and consist of very complex problems, and will be nothing short of miserable for everyone. We are given an unlimited amount of time to finish the exam, but I don't feel like staying there and working on it all night.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.

Physics news on Phys.org
Work-Energy Theorem.

Centripetal acceleration = v2/r towards the center if the circle.

The only proof I can think of off the top of my head is the apple and archer proof; the question is here: http://www.alexpleasehelp.com/online/problems/arrowapple"

To make it a proof, you basically have to show that as long as the arrow is fired at the apple at its starting position, and both the apple drop and the arrow is fired at the same time, the arrow will always hit the apple.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for proofs on exams?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills is to practice solving a variety of proofs from different topics in your field of study. You can also seek help from your professors or join study groups to discuss and solve proofs together. Additionally, reading textbooks and online resources can also help improve your understanding and techniques for solving proofs.

2. Are there any specific resources that can help me prepare for proof-based exams?

Yes, there are several resources that can help you prepare for proof-based exams. You can use textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study guides specifically designed for proof-based exams. You can also seek help from your classmates, professors, or teaching assistants for additional resources.

3. How should I approach a proof-based question on an exam?

When approaching a proof-based question on an exam, it is important to carefully read and understand the question. Make sure to identify the given information and any necessary conditions. Then, try to break down the proof into smaller, manageable steps and use logical reasoning to connect them. You can also refer to relevant theorems or definitions to support your proof.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a proof during an exam?

If you get stuck on a proof during an exam, do not panic. Take a deep breath and try to approach the problem from a different angle. You can also skip the problem and come back to it later. If you are still unable to solve the proof, you can use the resources that you have brought with you, such as textbooks or notes, to help you. It is also helpful to show your work and explain your reasoning to the grader.

5. Can I use outside resources for proofs on an exam?

It depends on the specific guidelines set by your professor or institution. Some exams may allow the use of outside resources, such as textbooks or notes, while others may not. It is important to clarify this with your professor beforehand. If outside resources are allowed, make sure to use them as a guide and not rely solely on them to solve the proof.