UCSB vs UCSD for physics and maybe applied math

In summary, the speaker has been admitted to UCSB and UCSD, with a possible interest in environmental applications of physics and double majoring or minoring in applied math. They are undecided between the two schools, with UCSD having better dorms and food and a more diverse student body, but UCSB having a better campus vibe. They are leaning towards UCSB, but are concerned about the party reputation. The speaker is looking for a compelling reason to choose one over the other, such as program strength, reputation, or future opportunities. Both schools have strong programs, but UCSD may have more internship opportunities and a stronger marine science department. The speaker is a current double major in math and physics at UCSD and highly recommends the Math
outtthere
I've been admitted to UCSB and UCSD (and UCDavis but I think I've ruled it out). I plan on majoring in physics and maybe double majoring or at least minoring in applied math. I am interested in some kind of future environmental application of these and am also interested in climate science and marine science.

I visited both schools and remain undecided. UCSD has better dorms and food and I like that it is more diverse and seems to have more international students. But I like UCSB's campus vibe a lot better - bike friendly and just feels more like a college (UCSD feels research park/commuter campus). I like to be outside and surf, hike, etc. Seems like they both have ample opportunities there. I am leaning toward UCSB because I just felt more excited to be there, but the party reputation worries me a little.

Is there some compelling reason to pick one vs the other besides "I slightly like this one better"...? Strength of the programs, reputation, future opportunities...? They seem fairly equivalent to me in actual rankings and offerings. I guess I am looking for a gut check on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both programs are quite strong and I agree with you on UCSB having the better vibe. However, internships might be more plentiful at UCSD and I'm betting that they have more in the way of marine sciences for you to explore as an undergraduate.

Likes outtthere
I'm currently attending UCSD as a double major in math and physics. I can't tell you which school as I'm obviously biased. However, I will say that UCSD has a great program in the Math dept for applied math, Computational Science and Math (CSME) at the Center for Computational Maths. The grad courses in this program cover a wide array of applied math (e.g. courses in geometrical physics, applied abstract algebra...) and the research in this dept is exciting. Feel free to ask me anything if you have any other questions about UCSD. For what it's worth, UCSB is ranked higher in physics (but that only means so much for undergrad)

If you're looking into marine science, look up the Scripps Oceanography institute and see if anything there interests you.

Likes outtthere

1. What are the differences between the physics programs at UCSB and UCSD?

The physics programs at UCSB and UCSD have a lot of similarities, but there are a few key differences. While both schools offer a strong foundation in traditional physics topics, UCSB has a stronger focus on condensed matter physics and materials science. On the other hand, UCSD has a renowned astrophysics program and also offers opportunities for students to participate in research at the nearby Scripps Institution of Oceanography. Additionally, UCSD has a larger physics department with more faculty and research opportunities compared to UCSB.

2. How do the research opportunities for physics and applied math differ between UCSB and UCSD?

Both UCSB and UCSD offer excellent research opportunities for students in physics and applied math. However, the research focus at UCSB is primarily on theoretical and experimental condensed matter physics, while UCSD has a more diverse range of research fields including astrophysics, biophysics, and nanoscience. Additionally, UCSD has a strong collaboration with nearby research institutions such as the Salk Institute and the Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute, providing even more opportunities for students.

3. Which school has a better reputation in the field of physics and applied math?

Both UCSB and UCSD have strong reputations in the field of physics and applied math, so it ultimately depends on the specific subfield and research interests of the individual. UCSB is well-known for its strong condensed matter physics program and its Nobel Prize-winning faculty, while UCSD is renowned for its astrophysics and biophysics research. Both schools have highly respected faculty and produce successful graduates in their respective fields.

4. What are the job prospects for physics and applied math graduates from UCSB and UCSD?

Graduates from both UCSB and UCSD have excellent job prospects in the fields of physics and applied math. Both schools have strong connections with industry and research institutions, providing students with opportunities for internships and job placements. Additionally, the skills and problem-solving abilities gained from a degree in physics and applied math are highly sought after in a variety of industries, including technology, finance, and engineering.

5. How do the class sizes and teaching styles differ between UCSB and UCSD for physics and applied math?

The class sizes and teaching styles at UCSB and UCSD are fairly similar for physics and applied math courses. Both schools have a mix of large lecture classes and smaller discussion sections, providing students with the opportunity to learn from experienced professors and engage in discussions with their peers. However, UCSD may have slightly larger class sizes due to its larger student population. Both schools also offer opportunities for students to participate in research with faculty, providing a more hands-on learning experience.