UCB vs UCSD: Grad School & High Energy Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the pros and cons of attending either Berkeley or UCSD for undergraduate studies with a focus on graduate school and research opportunities in high energy physics. While both schools are great options, the speaker recommends Berkeley for its close proximity to Berkeley Lab and its strong focus on particle physics research. They also mention the numerous opportunities for students at Berkeley Lab and suggest not overthinking the decision and simply choosing Berkeley.
randomguy2335
Im debating between Berkeley and UCSD and I am not sure what to do, I plan to go to grad school, and I am worried that it might be difficult to get a lot of research done at UCB whereas I've heard its easier to get into research at UCSD. Furthermore I'd start a semester late at UCB because I was originally waitlisted (physics major). I have a particular interest in high energy physics, and relativity although I am not quite sure what to do after college, in any case, which is better for getting into graduate school, will it make a difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
I went to UCB for undergrad and I found my way into particle physics research as an undergrad with a nice group at Berkeley Lab. So it is definitely possible. I think if you know you want to do particle physics research, UCB is a better choice than UCSD. Why? UCB has a large national laboratory associated with it literally just up the hill. There used to be accelerators there. I don't know much about research at UCSD in particle physics, but I assume there is more particle physics at UCB.

Don't get me wrong, both are great schools.

Mate, this is one of the situations where overthinking is a bad idea. Just stop worrying and go to Berkeley. Spend your semester off on traveling somewhere with friends, or earning some money and chilling. Your concern are truly exaggerated.

Last edited:
You could google (or ask the instiutions themselves) to find the size of the HEP groups.

F=qE said:
I went to UCB for undergrad and I found my way into particle physics research as an undergrad with a nice group at Berkeley Lab. So it is definitely possible. I think if you know you want to do particle physics research, UCB is a better choice than UCSD. Why? UCB has a large national laboratory associated with it literally just up the hill. There used to be accelerators there. I don't know much about research at UCSD in particle physics, but I assume there is more particle physics at UCB.

Don't get me wrong, both are great schools.

Berkeley Lab still has accelerators. The Advanced Light Source is a 2nd generation synchrotron and there is a vibrant research grounp in free electron lasers and wakefield accelerators. Besides, they do a lot of work on ATLAS. They are also working on DUNE, LZ, and a few other high profile projects.

There are so many opportunities for particle physics students at Berkeley Lab that they import students from all over the world. I'd agree with Wminus and just go to Berkeley.

1. What are the main differences between UCB and UCSD for graduate school in high energy physics?

The main differences between UCB and UCSD for graduate school in high energy physics include the research focus and faculty expertise, the location and campus environment, and the overall program structure and curriculum.

2. Which university has a better reputation for high energy physics research?

UCB is generally considered to have a stronger reputation for high energy physics research, with several prominent faculty members and research groups in the field. However, UCSD also has a strong reputation and notable contributions in high energy physics.

3. What opportunities for research and collaboration are available at UCB and UCSD?

Both UCB and UCSD offer a wide range of research opportunities and collaborations for graduate students in high energy physics. UCB has a strong emphasis on experimental research, while UCSD has a strong focus on theoretical research. Both universities also have collaborations with other institutions and research facilities.

4. What is the job placement rate for graduates of UCB and UCSD's high energy physics programs?

The job placement rate for graduates of UCB and UCSD's high energy physics programs is generally high, with many students going on to pursue careers in academia, national laboratories, or industry. However, the specific job placement rate may vary depending on individual qualifications and opportunities.

5. How do the tuition and funding opportunities compare between UCB and UCSD for graduate school in high energy physics?

The tuition and funding opportunities for graduate school in high energy physics are generally similar between UCB and UCSD. However, UCB has a slightly higher tuition cost for out-of-state students, while UCSD may have more funding opportunities through its various research centers and institutes.