Uh oh Proposed Constitutional Amendment

Art
russ_watters said:
Considering the popular knee-jerk reaction against such an amendment (a reaction I share) and the virtual certainty that it wouldn't even make it out of committee, I can't see any upside for even proposing it. Aren't these guys just hurting their own approval ratings? Anyone care to speculate on why they would propose such a thing?
I read some time back that this proposal is raised by the same guys every session. Their raison is that people should be free to vote for whosoever they wish rather than them trying to change the law to suit a particular candidate.

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
russ_watters said:
Considering the popular knee-jerk reaction against such an amendment (a reaction I share) and the virtual certainty that it wouldn't even make it out of committee, I can't see any upside for even proposing it. Aren't these guys just hurting their own approval ratings? Anyone care to speculate on why they would propose such a thing?

Most senators and congressman are in pretty solid positions after they've been in for more than one term, and it would take a lot to unseat many of them. Things like this don't even come to light for the most part, so it's not likely to hurt them. How many constituents of the persons who proposed this amendment do you think even know they did so?

russ_watters
Mentor
If I were running against one of them, I'd make sure everyone knew.

SOS2008
Gold Member
russ_watters said:
I asked that question above:
SOS2008 said:
So why did this group resubmit a proposal for repeal a year ago? ...Maybe these representatives really believe the two-term limit can be hurtful to America. It has been an ongoing debate.
russ_watters said:
If I were running against one of them, I'd make sure everyone knew.
I don't feel this is much of an issue to run on or against. A similar issue:

A Republican congressman from California has introduced a bill that would amend the U.S. Constitution to allow foreign-born citizens to run for president. That would include Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Under Rep. Dana Rohrabacher's plan, anyone who has been an American citizen for at least 20 years and meets the other requirements could run for president.

Rohrabacher said he really had Rep. Tom Lantos in mind when he authored the bill. Lantos, who was born in Hungary, has served in the House for more than two decades. He says he is flattered but sees no need to amend the Constitution.

Schwarzenegger became a citizen in 1983 and has said he supports a Constitutional amendment so foreign-born citizens can run for president. However, he has sidestepped questions about whether he might want to run.

Both houses of Congress would have to approve Rohrabacher's proposed amendment by a two-thirds vote, then three-fourths of the states would have to vote in favor of it.

Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch has introduced similar legislation in the Senate.
http://www.news10.net/storyfull.asp?id=8072

Why do I suspect this won't hurt Hatch at all?

climbhi
SOS2008 said:
Why do I suspect this won't hurt Hatch at all?

Because that yokel has almost superhuman invincibility in Utah right now. He could propose a Constitutional amendment banning coca cola and he would still win with 95% of the vote come November. In fact, he recently did something almost as stupid: proposed a bill that would have outlawed the internet! I just can't understand why the people of UT like him so much. He really hasn't done that much to help them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution" [Broken]
The Twenty-second Amendment of the United States Constitution sets a term limit for the President of the United States, providing that "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once." Prior to the adoption of the amendment, the constitution set no limit on the number of presidential terms. The United States Congress proposed the amendment on March 21, 1947. It was ratified by the requisite number of states on February 27, 1951.
Let me guess which party republican:uhh: This well not get though if it does everone in congress whould have to be suddenly absent.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't revoke the 22cnd amendment, mainly because the president wouldn't be able to withstand the psychological trauma.