Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uh oh Proposed Constitutional Amendment

1. Feb 21, 2006 #1
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.J.RES.24.IH:
    I seriously doubt it's going to get through though.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2006 #2
    Has this already been gone over or does no one remember what the 22nd amendment is?

4. Feb 21, 2006 #3
    Short-sighted political stunt.

5. Feb 21, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The democrats are just doing their usual screwing around trying to grab attention to themselves instead of doing their jobs.

6. Feb 21, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What about Sensenbrenner? He's Republican. But, yeah, what the .... are they doing? The rest are all Democrats, so it appears to be a stunt of some sort (don't know any reason they'd seriously do this, but, they have, haven't they), and it's not even April 1. :surprised

7. Feb 21, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah a single republican :rolleyes:

I wonder if anyones going to freak out and think this is Bush taking over the US :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8. Feb 21, 2006 #7
    Alot of people talking about this seem to be hoping for a rerun of Clinton. There was talk of such an amendment while he was in office too.

9. Feb 21, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not much more reassuring to me. :uhh:

10. Feb 21, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, but it means you can't entirely blame it in the Democrats.

11. Feb 21, 2006 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well its normally a-ok to do the opposite around here :rolleyes:

12. Feb 21, 2006 #11
    That kind of junk is always being thrown about...Democrats catch crap for being against Bush (Because, as well all know, this is America...we don't have the right to hold our own opinions here.:rolleyes: ) and Republicans catch crap for lieing...when both sides lie through their teeth.:rofl:

13. Feb 22, 2006 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

hehe you haven't been around here much have you

14. Feb 22, 2006 #13
    No, I have not. However, I was not talking about this site when I made that post. I like this site but I would never even think of using it in a political discussion, that's a rather weak way to make your point.:wink: "There are these Republicans on a site I frequent that slam Democrats every time they post, I can't stand them and their damn party!!":rolleyes:

I've heard enough to know that Republicans like to slam Democrats, first and foremost, for disliking Bush. That's always been something that confuses me, really...because, like I tried to point out in my other post, this is America. To assume everyone will agree with you is asinine. However, instead of being amongst those who like to slam the opposing party simply because they're the opposing part, I'd much rather spend my time agreeing with whoever makes the most sense regardless of what they are. That allows me to see that both sides lie and that both sides are crooked.

Now, whether this site is populated with more Democrats than Republicans or vice versa, I don't base my posts off of this site's overall opinion on political matters.:wink:

15. Feb 22, 2006 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You all did notice the date, right?
    February 17, 2005

16. Feb 22, 2006 #15
    Ivan Seeking: Clearly not.:rofl:

17. Feb 22, 2006 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You mean it's not still 2005? :eek: :rofl: Nope, I missed that. It's twice in two days I've seen something and thought it was recent when it really was a year ago! It just isn't sticking with me that it's really 2006. :frown:

18. Feb 22, 2006 #17
    I know. I haven't found anything yet that would indicate what happened with it. I'm not familiar enough to know whether it could still be sitting around collecting dust or if it would have to already have been approved or struck down.

19. Feb 22, 2006 #18
    I don't agree with everything he does but, at the same time, I'm not willing to jump on him and his entire party for everything that goes wrong. For example, everyone seemed to be rather pissed off over Cheney and his little accident:rofl: but I saw his actions as those of a man who saw he would be attacked for making a mistake and tried to avoid it. Now, I could, clearly, be wrong but that's just what my initial reaction was. *Shrugs*

20. Feb 22, 2006 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To tell you the truth, I still have to think about it to be sure at times - 2006??? nah...is it...noooo...yes! Crud, that's right!! :surprised

21. Feb 22, 2006 #20

SOS2008

Gold Member

Also frequent attempts have been made over the years to modify or repeal the 22nd Amendment (e.g., in favor of Reagan), but none have yet been successful. And remember that no matter who proposes an a amendment, it does not become part of the Constitution unless/until it is ratified by three-quarters of the states.

So why did this group resubmit a proposal for repeal a year ago? Hoyer is a fairly high-ranking representative who favors election reform. Berman co-sponsored the "Honest Leadership and Open Government" package. A main issue for Sesenbrener is fair taxes. Sabo is one of the few who voted against invasion of Iraq, and Pallone I don't know, except like some of the others he has a legal background. None are rookies, and most serve on committees of significance.

In 2008 Bill Clinton will be 62, and aside from the age factor I doubt he would be the best candidate for the Dems. However, any Dem running in 2008 would be insured victory against Bush if he were allowed to run again, but personally I don't want any chance he could win. Maybe these representatives really believe the two-term limit can be hurtful to America. It has been on ongoing debate.

The current proposal is probably stuck in committee.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?