1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UIUC or UT austin for computer science

1. May 8, 2012 #1
    Hello guys, i am international student from Peru, i have been admitted as a transfer student to both this universities for computer science. I was wondering if any of you had some insight as to which is better or the advantages and disadvantages of them.

Thank you very much!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2
    anyone have any opinions? i would love to hear them1
    thanks!

4. May 11, 2012 #3
    If it is for undergraduate, they are both excellent choices. Fantastic schools.

So the question is: do you like cold or warm weather? Small town or large city? You will have a bright career from either place.

5. May 11, 2012 #4
    Thanks for replying! I have never experienced cold weather but i think i can handle it. Just put on a jacket right?

I am a very calmed person, i don't like going out or partying. do the programs have different approaches?

another question, would it be difficult to stay and work after graduation?

Thanks

6. May 11, 2012 #5
    UIUC isn't just jacket cold. It is Cold. With a capital 'C'. I would ask to see if you know anyone who has lived in a climate like central Illinois. My father went to school there from Australia and it was very hard for him.

I have a friend who went to the UIUC CS program and she very much enjoyed it. Both UIUC and UT are top-tier schools. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

As far as staying for work, I don't know how hard it is to get a visa. However, I do know there is much, much more technology work in the Austin, TX area. It is one of the technology centers of the USA. If you go to UIUC you will have to move away almost certainly.

7. May 11, 2012 #6
    I can't recommend CS @ UIUC highly enough. Having said that, UT Austin is fantastic as well. UIUC will get extremely cold in the winter. It will be uncomfortable. UT Austin will get extremely hot during the summer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook