A High School Student Asks: Should I Even Bother Applying to UT Austin?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
AndrewJM
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello, this is my first post :).
I am a high school sophmore and am incredibly interested in physics...
My school gives an intro-physics course for those who want to pursue it. I got over a one hundered average in that class, I have a 3.83 (out of 4) gpa. I also got advanced on the "MCAS" so can got to any state school (In Ma.) tutuion free.

So, to my question. The school I really want to apply to is the University of Texas at Austin. But should I even bother? I ask this for two reasons: 1) My family is relativley poor. And I feel like I shouldn't leve them and cost them so much money. 2) I read that only people in the top 10% of there class even get looked at by UT at Austin and I am in the 20%.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want to go to UT? What does that school have that any other schools in your state don't?

IMO, stick with whatever is financially reasonable. If you're getting free tuition in MA, it should be a no brainer as there are many good schools to choose from.
 
UMass Amherst has an excellent physics program. You wouldn't get anything out of UT Austin at the undergrad level you can't get at UMass Amherst for free. Grad school is when you'd really worry about what school you attend, and you won't do undergrad and grad school at the same school anyway. Also, grad school will be free too in physics.
 
The reason I wanted to go to UT was I love Texas and I kinda want to get out of MA and I hadn't even thought about Amherst. But now that I look at it it seems to be just as good.
 
I was accepted to UT Austin for math, but I declined because the financial aid was SO bad. I am a (very) low income student, too. I don't know if you received your financial aid award, but my package had only ~$4k in grants... the rest of the (out of state) tuition would have been paid for in loans. It was about $20k per year. Something to think about.
 
It's not a problem. I liked UT Austin, but it was not my top choice and I got into schools (with full ride) that I would rather attend. I just wanted to share to give you some idea of what you might expect financially (in case you don't know already). I was pretty appalled by their offer; it was the worst aid package I received from the 10 schools I applied to.