UK Cell Biology Schools Ranked 5th-12th

In summary, the individual is a Malaysian student in China who is interested in pursuing a master's degree in cell biology in the UK. They are looking for schools ranked between 5th-10th and are considering Bath, Sheffield, York, Durham, UCL, Cambridge, Bristol, Oxford, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Dundee, Kent, St Andrews, Birmingham, Manchester, Cardiff, Nottingham, Warwick, Imperial, and Royal Holloway. The individual expresses concerns about not being able to remember every detail in biology due to their background in quantum physics, but they are interested in nanotechnology. They also mention concerns about being accepted into top programs and feeling intimidated by highly-ranked schools. It is suggested that the individual visit preferred universities and talk to
Bimbar
I want to do master research in UK abuot cell biology, which school rank between 5th~10th( to 12th is also ok) about cell biology in UK. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I am an Malaysian studying in China, I don't think I can put up with their contemps, some individual even spits saliva before me, sevearl my friends came to study then they left. Now i think i have to run, i don't think i can do biology master in Chines because you see, its hard to remeber every little strokes, plus I major in quantum physics-level 6- advanced, not biology. But nanotech is what i like. Introduce about ur country.

Bath, Sheffield, York, Durham, UCL, Cambridge, Bristol, Oxford, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Dundee, Kent, St Andrews, Birmingham, Manchester, Cardiff, Nottingham, Warwick, Imperial, and Royal Holloway are all in the top 20 for Biological Sciences, according to the Times Good University Guide.

Which school you been to ? How was it ?
Warwick sounds greate. I don't want verygood schools because i don't think i can get in, and i don't like them either, geting to difficult schol I won't have chances to talk to teachers they reason they busy reaserching etc. people from very good schools always look down on others and they hard to believ..

Last edited:
I didn't study biological science, and haven't studied at postgraduate level, but went to UMIST anyway.

Choosing between any of the top 20 will not give you much difference in quality of teaching or research, they're all very good universities and the degree you end up with will be the same (in the eyes of employers) regardless of where it's from. It's probably best to try and visit a few of your preferred choices, see what the area is like, and talk to some of the current students and staff.

Are you sure you know what you want? A master's program in cell biology is going to require research, so I'm not sure why you would think having faculty busy with research is a negative. That would be a positive for a graduate program. You also ask for universities with a top ranking, but then say you don't think you would be accepted into a top program. If you're interested in nanotechnology, a cell biology program is not the place to do that either. And...if you don't think your background in the subject is sufficient to be accepted to a master's program in a university in your home country, why would you think it would be easier to be accepted as a foreign student in another country?

If your major is in physics, do you have any biology or biochemistry coursework? Without high marks in several advanced biology/biochemistry courses, you aren't going to be accepted into any graduate program in cell biology. You can find out what each university requires though, and take those courses before applying. I'm just not certain your question indicates you know enough about what you're applying for to even know you really want to get a degree in cell biology.

Thank you for your answers
I thought 1 to 5 was the most difficult, so I chose 6 to 12 as an average.
I didn't take many biocourses at all while studying physics, mostly taught myself, and courses I took were as short as 2 credits, sure it's not enough

I really want a cell biology master degree. I will think again and self-study more
Are you sure you know what you want? A master's program in cell biology is going to require research, so I'm not sure why you would think having faculty busy with research is a negative. That would be a positive for a graduate program. You also ask for universities with a top ranking, but then say you don't think you would be accepted into a top program. If you're interested in nanotechnology, a cell biology program is not the place to do that either. And...if you don't think your background in the subject is sufficient to be accepted to a master's program in a university in your home country, why would you think it would be easier to be accepted as a foreign student in another country?

If your major is in physics, do you have any biology or biochemistry coursework? Without high marks in several advanced biology/biochemistry courses, you aren't going to be accepted into any graduate program in cell biology. You can find out what each university requires though, and take those courses before applying. I'm just not certain your question indicates you know enough about what you're applying for to even know you really want to get a degree in cell biology.
Again thank you MoonBear, what you say are really 'pointful'.

What is the ranking of UK cell biology schools from 5th to 12th?

The ranking of UK cell biology schools from 5th to 12th is based on the latest QS World University Rankings for Life Sciences and Medicine. This ranking takes into consideration factors such as academic reputation, research impact, and student satisfaction.

Which UK cell biology school is ranked 5th?

The UK cell biology school ranked 5th is the University of Oxford. This prestigious university has a strong reputation for its research in life sciences and offers a range of programs in cell biology at both the undergraduate and graduate level.

What is the difference between the 5th and 12th ranked UK cell biology schools?

The main difference between the 5th and 12th ranked UK cell biology schools is their overall score in the QS World University Rankings for Life Sciences and Medicine. This score takes into account various factors such as academic reputation, research impact, and student satisfaction.

Are there any notable UK cell biology schools that are not ranked in the top 12?

Yes, there are several notable UK cell biology schools that are not ranked in the top 12 but still have strong programs in this field. These include the University of Cambridge, the University of Edinburgh, and King's College London, among others.

What opportunities are available for students at UK cell biology schools ranked 5th-12th?

Students at UK cell biology schools ranked 5th-12th have access to a wide range of opportunities, including cutting-edge research projects, state-of-the-art facilities, and collaborations with leading scientists in the field. These schools also offer a diverse range of courses and programs to cater to the interests and career goals of their students.