Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unanswered threads are not "unanswered "

1. May 21, 2015 #1
    Hello!
    I just wanted to say that some of the threads of the unanswered threads are not "unanswered ". They are answered. So I am wondering why are they present there?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2015 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't experienced this problem except when I use the Back button to go back to the list of unanswered threads. In that case my page doesn't completely refresh. It contains the list from the first time that I visited the page and the reply counts from the last time that I refreshed it. The only way that I can get a correct and current display is if I click on the Unanswered Threads link again.

4. May 21, 2015 #3
    The list doesn't auto update, so you need to refresh. If you are talking about the sidebar widget. It is cached for 5 minutes.

5. May 21, 2015 #4
    Okay.... so if someone answers an unanswered thread then it will still remain in the unanswered list till 5 minutes. O..... :wideeyed:... kay

6. May 21, 2015 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Unless you update/refresh your browser window, I think is what was said.

7. May 21, 2015 #6
    You can't manually refresh because the cache is server side

8. May 21, 2015 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah. So they really ARE unanswered for a few minutes even though they are answered. Sounds weird.

9. May 21, 2015 #8

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Perhaps instead of showing the newest unanswered threads (which are likely to get new answers soon), either showing the oldest unanswered threads or newest unanswered threads older than a certain time period (e.g. a day) would be better since these are probably the unanswered threads that need highlighting in the first place.

10. May 21, 2015 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Those would not change that frequently, however. Maybe the newest unanswered threads at least one or two hours old? Still frequent changes, but an answer in the next 5 minutes is not that likely (unless it comes via this feature, but then it served its purpose).

11. May 24, 2015 #10

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You get a different URL every time you click unanswered threads. If you simply reload the page with that URL, you will see the threads that were unanswered when that URL was first generated - some of those may have been answered and will appear in white. If you instead click the link to unanswered threads, you will get a new URL with the currently unanswered threads.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook