Unanswered threads are not "unanswered "

• Thread starter mooncrater
  • Start date
Hello!
I just wanted to say that some of the threads of the unanswered threads are not "unanswered ". They are answered. So I am wondering why are they present there?

Borg

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I haven't experienced this problem except when I use the Back button to go back to the list of unanswered threads. In that case my page doesn't completely refresh. It contains the list from the first time that I visited the page and the reply counts from the last time that I refreshed it. The only way that I can get a correct and current display is if I click on the Unanswered Threads link again.

Reactions: Evo
The list doesn't auto update, so you need to refresh. If you are talking about the sidebar widget. It is cached for 5 minutes.

Okay.... so if someone answers an unanswered thread then it will still remain in the unanswered list till 5 minutes. O..... :wideeyed:... kay

Okay.... so if someone answers an unanswered thread then it will still remain in the unanswered list till 5 minutes. O..... :wideeyed:... kay
Unless you update/refresh your browser window, I think is what was said.

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Perhaps instead of showing the newest unanswered threads (which are likely to get new answers soon), either showing the oldest unanswered threads or newest unanswered threads older than a certain time period (e.g. a day) would be better since these are probably the unanswered threads that need highlighting in the first place.

Those would not change that frequently, however. Maybe the newest unanswered threads at least one or two hours old? Still frequent changes, but an answer in the next 5 minutes is not that likely (unless it comes via this feature, but then it served its purpose).

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
You get a different URL every time you click unanswered threads. If you simply reload the page with that URL, you will see the threads that were unanswered when that URL was first generated - some of those may have been answered and will appear in white. If you instead click the link to unanswered threads, you will get a new URL with the currently unanswered threads.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads