Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty as √N — why?

1. Jul 25, 2012 #1

Mk

My physics teacher told me once about Arthur Eddington's famous observation that the ratio of scaling factors of the electromagnetic and gravitational forces was the same order as the uncertainty of N where N is the number of particles in the universe. From then on, I wondered what "uncertainty" could possibly mean. He couldn't really explain it to me, or I didn't understand it (or both).

I can see that for "random" or acausal (stochastic) phenomena, the "absolute" uncertainty in a measurement is equal to the square root of that quantity of measurements. What is that about? I think I understand square roots and squaring just fine, and am looking for a little help in explanation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

In example of radioactive decay, you can calculate the probability for each number of decays within one second, it follows a poisson distribution. And you can evaluate the standard deviation - it is sqrt(N).

Many phenomena which involve counting have an uncertainty of sqrt(N).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook