Uncertainty of the Standard Deviation

In summary, the conversation revolves around using an error propagation formula to find the uncertainty in the standard deviation. The formula involves the standard deviation (s), the partial derivatives of s with respect to each data point, and the mean (m). The formula is compared to a similar one found in a thread, with the only difference being an extra factor of 1-1/N. The method used is considered approximate due to the use of Taylor expansion. The instructor wanted the use of this formula to find the uncertainty, and there is a suggestion to get rid of a second summation term to make the formula simpler.
a1234
Homework Statement
I'm trying to find the uncertainty of the standard deviation of N data points, which have a Gaussian distribution. Each data point has uncertainty σ_i.
Relevant Equations
Error propagation of data that follows a Gaussian distribution, standard deviation for a sample
Using this error propagation formula:
ErrorPropagation.png

I expressed the standard deviation (s) and the partial derivatives of s w.r.t. each data point as:
1667783515483.png

This gives me an uncertainty of:
1667783546386.png
, where m is the mean. Does this seem reasonable for the uncertainty of the standard deviation? I also found the thread linked below, and it looks like my formula matches the one in the thread, except for an extra factor of 1 -1/N.
https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/2439810/uncertainty-in-standard-deviation

Physics news on Phys.org
You do realize that $$1-1/N =\frac {N-1} N$$and several other simplifications are available. I believe your method gives the exactly correct answer although it is really only approximate. It is difficult to know what your prof wanted because you have paraphrased the question.
Your method is not the one I would have chosen. For instance the fact that the probabilities are independent then the product of the individual probabilities yields the result more directly.

Could you explain how the result is approximate?

The instructor wanted us to use the error propagation formula specified to find the uncertainty in the standard deviation, so I believe they expected us to use this method.

Would it be possible to get rid of the second summation term under the radical sign?

It is approximate because the Taylor expansion is approximate. It is usually a good approximation and serves very well. I have never seen this done this way and found it an interesting exercise.
I would like to see the exact statement of the problem however.

Likes SammyS and a1234

What is the standard deviation?

The standard deviation is a measure of the spread or variability of a set of data. It tells us how much the data values deviate from the mean or average value.

Why is it important to consider uncertainty of the standard deviation?

Uncertainty of the standard deviation is important because it gives us an idea of the reliability and accuracy of our data. It allows us to understand the range of possible values for the standard deviation and how confident we can be in our estimate.

How is uncertainty of the standard deviation calculated?

Uncertainty of the standard deviation is typically calculated using statistical methods such as the standard error or confidence intervals. These methods take into account the sample size, the variability of the data, and the level of confidence desired.

What factors can affect the uncertainty of the standard deviation?

The uncertainty of the standard deviation can be affected by the sample size, the variability of the data, and the level of confidence desired. A larger sample size and lower variability will result in a smaller uncertainty, while a smaller sample size and higher variability will result in a larger uncertainty.

How can we interpret the uncertainty of the standard deviation?

The uncertainty of the standard deviation can be interpreted as a range of values within which the true standard deviation is likely to fall. This means that there is a certain level of uncertainty in our estimate, and the true value could be higher or lower than our calculated value. The larger the uncertainty, the less confident we can be in our estimate.