Uncertainty on the number of trials in binomial distributions?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
penguindecay
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Dear Reader,

I am writing for information, or a point towards any information about the calculation on the uncertainty on the number of trials in a binomial distribution. I had been using the SQRT(N) (taken from poisson dist. I miss them) but forgot they are binomial. For example if I toss a coin 100 times, (lands 50 heads 50 tails), what would the uncertainty/error be on that 100 trials? That is to say 100 +/- ?. Thank you for your help,

Kim
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The description you give has the number of trials as given (no uncertainty). The uncertainty would be in the number of heads or number of tails. One standard deviation in this case is 5, so you would say the number of heads would be 50 +/- 5.