Uncertainty principle##\Delta H\Delta Q##, where Q is time-independent

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 1K views
Foracle
Messages
29
Reaction score
8
TL;DR
Why is ##\Delta H\Delta Q \ge |\frac{ħ}{2}##d<Q>/dt##|##
Let Q be a time-independent operator.
##[H,Q] = iħ[\frac{d}{dt},Q]##
Since Q is time-independent, ##[H,Q]=0##

And from the uncertainty principle :
##\Delta H\Delta Q \ge |<\Psi|\frac{1}{2i}[H,Q]|\Psi>|##
From ##[H,Q] = 0##, I concluded that ##\Delta H\Delta Q \ge 0##

But by evaluating d<Q>/dt, it can be found that ##\Delta H\Delta Q \ge |\frac{ħ}{2}##d<Q>/dt##|##

I know that the right answer is the latter, but I just want to know why ##\Delta H\Delta Q \ge 0## is wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You go wrong when you equate the Hamiltonian with the time derivative. Your identification implies there is no difference between the Hamiltonians describing different systems or the time-evolution of the wavefunctions for those systems.