Uncertainty principle regarding a narrow optical fibre?

In summary: The uncertainty principle states that there is a fundamental limit to how well we can know both the position and momentum of a particle. This is not due to experimental limitations, but rather a fundamental property of quantum systems.
bcrelling
If we take a narrow aperture(such as the one used in the double slit experiments) and attach a length of optical fibre to it, surely now we know the position (confined by the width of the fibre) and also the momentum(defined by the direction of the fibre).

How does the uncertainty principle apply here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are comparing position in one direction with momentum in the orthogonal direction. [Px , Y ] = 0... so you can simultaneously measure to arbitrary precision the position in one direction and the momentum perpendicular to that direction.

jambaugh said:
You are comparing position in one direction with momentum in the orthogonal direction. [Px , Y ] = 0... so you can simultaneously measure to arbitrary precision the position in one direction and the momentum perpendicular to that direction.

I'm not sure I understand.

The position is known, as the photon traveling down the optical fibre is contrained on two axes by the optical fibre(x, y). As for the remaining axis in the forward direction(z), the position is calculable by knowing when the photon was emitted from source at that it will certainly be traveling at speed C and can only go a certain distance at such a speed.

As for momentum, we know the direction of the wire and the speed of the photon.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

bcrelling said:

The position is known, as the photon traveling down the optical fibre is contrained on two axes by the optical fibre(x, y). As for the remaining axis in the forward direction(z), the position is calculable by knowing when the photon was emitted from source at that it will certainly be traveling at speed C and can only go a certain distance at such a speed.

Yes, velocity and momentum are not the same thing, especially for photons which all travel at speed c. Rather in this case it is more a matter of frequency.
There are also issues of modality in the waveguide behavior of the optical fiber. It doesn't quite "just run down the line" but "bounces off the walls" a bit.

There are corresponding energy time uncertainty relations so when you get down to timing the photon you are talking about an interval of time when it was emitted into the wave guide which is inversely proportional to its energy uncertainty. As you use timing to know position you use energy to know momentum, both being linked by the constancy of c.

Remember that photons are not point particles. They are quantized emissions absorptions of EM field. You can "emit a single photon" in principle over the course of a year. It isn't necessarily emitted (even a single one) instantaneously. You must take a year to emit a single photon if you insist on emitting that photon in a very precise momentum=frequency band (order of energy= hbar/year).

Contrawise if you are emitting a single localized (in space and in time of emission) photon it must have a broad uncertainty in its energy & momentum.

[edit] The books have it right. Trust the books. That is in the Regan sense, "trust but verify!".

Likes 1 person
bcrelling said:

A common misunderstanding when it comes to the uncertainty principle is that people imagine making both a position and momentum measurement, and therefore think they can measure both. The truth is, you CAN measure both, and it's exactly when you do measure both that the uncertainty principle is most interesting. It tells you that the product of errors in your measurements will always be non-zero, even in ideal situations. So you can actually measure the position and momentum simultaneously to rather good precision (the minimum uncertainty is very small).

From this, without closely looking at your proposed setup, I conclude that you will always have a small amount of error, no matter how well you do your experiment.

DimReg said:
From this, without closely looking at your proposed setup, I conclude that you will always have a small amount of error, no matter how well you do your experiment.

That's not how uncertainty works. It does not describe experimental errors, but rather errors in prediction.

1. What is the uncertainty principle in relation to a narrow optical fibre?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This principle applies to a narrow optical fibre because light is made up of particles called photons, and trying to measure the position and momentum of these particles in a narrow space is subject to the uncertainty principle.

2. How does the uncertainty principle affect the transmission of light through a narrow optical fibre?

The uncertainty principle affects the transmission of light through a narrow optical fibre because it introduces a level of uncertainty in the position and momentum of the photons. This means that the exact path and behavior of the photons through the fibre cannot be predicted with absolute certainty, which can impact the accuracy and reliability of the transmitted light signal.

3. Is the uncertainty principle a limitation for the use of narrow optical fibres?

The uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and cannot be overcome. However, it is not a major limitation for the use of narrow optical fibres. While it does introduce some uncertainty, it is still possible to transmit light through a narrow fibre with high accuracy and reliability.

4. How does the uncertainty principle impact the design of narrow optical fibres?

The uncertainty principle must be taken into consideration when designing narrow optical fibres. The size and shape of the fibre, as well as the materials used, can all affect the level of uncertainty introduced. Designers must also consider the potential impact of the uncertainty principle on the intended use of the fibre and make adjustments as needed.

5. Can the uncertainty principle be applied to other types of fibres, such as electrical or acoustic fibres?

While the uncertainty principle is most commonly associated with particles such as photons, it can also be applied to other types of particles and waves, including electrons, electrical signals, and sound waves. Therefore, the uncertainty principle can also be applied to other types of fibres, such as electrical or acoustic fibres, where the behavior of these particles or waves is subject to uncertainty.