Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unclear formulation of Ward identity

1. Jan 14, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I am really familiar with the Ward-Takashi identity formulated in the form [itex]k_{\mu}M^{\mu\nu}=0[/itex] applying the fact that the longitudinal polarization of the 4 vector A is nonphysical (redundant) and should not contribute to the physical amplitudes. But, by opening a test subject on QED, I ran into this formula: [itex] -\frac{1}{\alpha}\Box\partial_{\mu}A^{\mu} + \partial^{\mu}\frac{\delta\Gamma}{\delta A^{\mu}} + ie\psi\frac{\delta\Gamma}{\delta\psi} -ie\bar{\psi}\frac{\delta\Gamma}{\delta\bar{\psi}}=0[/itex] which is quite unclear for me. [itex]\Gamma [\psi,\bar{\psi},A][/itex] is the generator of 1PI graphs. Does someone have a reference on the derivation of that, or could show me how to get this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2012 #2
    Section 12.1, eq. 12.13 in Kaku "Quantum Field Theory - A modern introduction" (1993)

4. Jan 15, 2012 #3
    Thanks, I checked in Kaku's book, and indeed it's not hard to derive, by playing with [itex]Z[\eta,\bar{\eta},J^{\mu}][/itex] and [itex]\Gamma[\psi,\bar{\psi},A^{\mu}][/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook