Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undamped 2 DOF vibration. What should the eigen vectors be here

1. Mar 23, 2013 #1
    Normal modes of vibration, two masses, two spring, arranged vertically with m2 at the top, m1 underneath arranged (top to bottom) m2, k2, m1, k1, rigid support

I have solved the first part of an undamped coupled spring problem to give

[itex]m_1m_2 \omega ^ 4 + ((m_1+m_2)k_2+m_2k_1)\omega ^2 +k_1k_2=0[/itex] Since this is a show that Q, I know this is correct.

With [itex]k_1=5,\; k_2=10,\; m_1=20,\; m_2=50 [/itex] I get [itex]\omega_1=0.2365,\;\omega_2=0.9456[/itex]

This comes from the equation [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
    m_1 \omega^2+k_1+k_2 & -k_2 \\
    -k_2 & m_2 \omega^2+k_2
    \end{pmatrix}
    \begin{pmatrix}
    X_1 \\
    X_2
    \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}
    0 \\
    \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

I have formed the impression (which must be wrong) that my values of [itex]\omega[/itex] should be eigen values with eigen vectors of [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
    1 \\
    \end{pmatrix}[/itex] and [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
    1 \\
    \end{pmatrix}[/itex] Which describe the first two principle modes of vibration.

I expect to be able to check by substituting my values of [itex]\omega[/itex] into the matrix equation and get the zero matrix at the RHS when I used the eigen vectors for [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
    X_1 \\
    X_2
    \end{pmatrix}[/itex]
    However when I multiply out the matrix and the eigen vectors with my values of [itex]\omega[/itex] I get nothing like [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
    0 \\
    \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Where is my understanding going wrong with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2013 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your "impression" about the correct answer is wrong.

To see why it's wrong, imagine a two springs with equal stiffness, with a large mass at the bottom, and a small mass at the mid point. This is almost the same as a single mass at the end of the spring, and the eigenvector for the lowest mode will be approximately [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
    0.5 \\
    \end{pmatrix}[/itex] not [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
    1 \\
    \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

The eigenector for the second mode will be close to [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
    1 \\
    \end{pmatrix}[/itex], though that is a bit harder to "see" intuitively.

In general the eigenvectors depend on all the mass and stiffness properties. To calculate them, substitute the numbers for k m and ##\omega## into your equation [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
    m_1 \omega^2+k_1+k_2 & -k_2 \\
    -k_2 & m_2 \omega^2+k_2
    \end{pmatrix}
    \begin{pmatrix}
    X_1 \\
    X_2
    \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}
    0 \\
    \end{pmatrix}[/itex]
    If you calculated ##\omega## correctly, the system of equations will be singular, and you can solve them for the ratio of ##X_1## to ##X_2##.

Repeat with the other value of ##\omega## to find the other eigenvector.

4. Mar 24, 2013 #3
    Thank you very much for your prompt answer. I might even have ended up understanding eigenvectors in this context. It was well worth ploughing through the latex to get your answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook