What Values of k Ensure Linear Independence in R^4 for These Vectors?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Nathew

Homework Statement


Determine all values of the constant k for which the given set of vectors is linearly independent in [itex]\mathbb R^4[/itex].
{(1, 1, 0, −1), (1, k, 1, 1), (4, 1, k, 1), (−1, 1, 1, k)}

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



So far I set up a coefficient matrix
[tex] \begin{pmatrix}<br /> 1 & 1 & 4 & -1 \\<br /> 1 & k & 1 & 1 \\<br /> 0 & 1 & k & 1 \\<br /> -1 & 1 & 1 & k<br /> \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

And tried converting it to REF

[tex] \begin{pmatrix}<br /> 1 & 1 & 4 & -1 \\<br /> 0 & 1 & k & 1 \\<br /> 0 & 0 & (-k^2+k-3) & (3-k) \\<br /> 0 & 0 & (5-2k) & (k-3)<br /> \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

I'm not sure if I should keep going trying to reduce this to REF to see which values of k will not work, but it just seems too messy.

Am I approaching this the wrong way?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Unlikely as it may seem, it looks to me like checking the determinant is as easy or easier than row reduction. If you add the last row to each of the first two rows you get a column with 3 zeros leaving you with one 3x3 determinant, which is easy to just expand.