Confusion about Slater Determinants

In summary, a system of 2 identical fermions can be constructed by using a state with proper antisymmetry properties, such as the Slater determinant. The collective index ##k_i## represents all four quantum numbers, including spin, and the notation ##\sigma_i = \pm 1/2## and ##m_i = 1,2## is also used in constructing the state. However, the number of orthogonal wave functions from the Slater determinant may be less than the number of combinations of ##k_i##.
MisterX
Consider a system of 2 identical fermions.
$$\psi_{k_1,k_2}(x_1,x_2,m_1, m_2) = \langle x_1\,x_2\,m_1\,m_2\mid \psi \rangle$$
According to what I have read we can construct a state with the right antisymmetry properties by
$$\psi_{k_1,k_2}(x_1,x_2,m_1, m_2) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{vmatrix}\phi_{k_1}(x_1, m_1) & \phi_{k_2}(x_1, m_1) \\ \phi_{k_1}(x_2, m_2) & \phi_{k_2}(x_2, m_2)\end{vmatrix} $$
$$= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\phi_{k_1}(x_1, m_1) \phi_{k_2}(x_2, m_2) - \phi_{k_2}(x_1, m_1) \phi_{k_1}(x_2, m_2) \right) $$
This vanishes if ##k_1 = k_2## regardless of any of the other variables. I feel like something is amiss and I am either confused or not doing this properly. For ##m_i = \pm \frac{1}{2}##, shouldn't we have 2 particles allowed to have the same value of ##k## as long as they do not have the same spin? What about singlet and triplet states? How do I understand this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually ##k_i## is a collective index representing all 4 quantum numbers, including the spin. The ##m_1## and ##m_2## in your notation only denote to which particle the spin wavefunction specified implicitly in ##k_1## or ##k_2## belong. So, rather than ##m_i = 1/2## or ##-1/2##, I think it should be either ##1## or ##2## denoting particle ##1## or ##2##, respectively.

Apparently the thing to do is actually
$$\phi_{k_1, \sigma_1}\left(x_1, m_1 \right) = f_{k_1}(x)\delta_{\sigma_1m_1}$$
$$\psi_{k_1, k_2, \sigma_1, \sigma_2}(x_1, x_2, m_1, m_2) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}f_{k_1}(x_1)\delta_{\sigma_1m_1}f_{k_2}(x_2)\delta_{\sigma_2m_2} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} f_{k_2}(x_1)\delta_{\sigma_2m_1}f_{k_1}(x_2)\delta_{\sigma_1m_2}$$
I suppose this can also be expressed
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}f_{k_1}(x_1)f_{k_2}(x_2)\mid\sigma_1\rangle\mid\sigma_2\rangle - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} f_{k_2}(x_1)f_{k_1}(x_2)\mid\sigma_2\rangle\mid\sigma_1\rangle $$

So it seems with ##k_1 = k_2, x_1 = x_2##, we get 0 unless ##\sigma_1\sigma_2 = \uparrow\downarrow## or ## \downarrow\uparrow## in which case there is a singlet.

Also it seems worth noting that when we use the Slater determinant we have less orthogonal ##\psi## than combinations of ##k_1, k_2## (where here I mean I generalized label). There are ##N_k^N## elements in the set of ##\mid k_1\rangle\mid k_2\rangle \cdots \mid k_N \rangle##. It seems the number of orthogonal wave functions from the Slater determinant would be less than this, but I am not certain how many at this time.

MisterX said:
$$\phi_{k_1, \sigma_1}\left(x_1, m_1 \right) = f_{k_1}(x)\delta_{\sigma_1m_1}$$
This notation is different from your original one, in this new notation, #k_i# is reserved only for the spatial quantum numbers. However, remember that in this new notation ##\sigma_i = \pm 1/2## and ##m_i = 1,2##. Anyway, I don't disagree with your new notation.
MisterX said:
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}f_{k_1}(x_1)f_{k_2}(x_2)\mid\sigma_1\rangle\mid\sigma_2\rangle - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} f_{k_2}(x_1)f_{k_1}(x_2)\mid\sigma_2\rangle\mid\sigma_1\rangle $$
There is nothing wrong either with this expression, only that you should realize that you have assigned appearance order to specify the particle number and that ##|\sigma_1\rangle## and ##|\sigma_2\rangle## have fixed values, e.g. ##|\sigma_1\rangle = \uparrow## and ##|\sigma_2\rangle=\downarrow## . So for example, ##|\sigma_2\rangle |\sigma_1\rangle## means first particle has down spin and second particle has up spin.
MisterX said:
It seems the number of orthogonal wave functions from the Slater determinant would be less than this, but I am not certain how many at this time.
I'm not quite sure with your statement there. But given a set of collective indices (those which include the spin as well) ##\{k_1,k_2,...k_N\}## which represent different states, you can only have one ##N\times N## Slater determinant since it contains all possible combinations of those indices.

1. What are Slater Determinants?

Slater Determinants are mathematical expressions used in quantum mechanics to describe the wave function of a system of particles. They are composed of single-particle wave functions and represent the many-particle state of a system.

2. How are Slater Determinants used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, Slater Determinants are used to describe the electronic configurations of atoms, molecules, and solids. They are also used to calculate the energy of a system and to predict the behavior of particles in a quantum system.

3. What is the difference between Slater Determinants and other wave functions?

Slater Determinants are different from other wave functions, such as Hartree-Fock wave functions, because they take into account the antisymmetry of the wave function for identical particles. This is necessary for accurately describing systems with multiple identical particles, such as atoms and molecules.

4. What is the significance of Slater Determinants in quantum chemistry?

Slater Determinants are a fundamental concept in quantum chemistry, as they are used to describe the electronic structure of atoms and molecules. They form the basis for more complex wave functions that are used to calculate properties such as bond energies, molecular orbitals, and electronic spectra.

5. How are Slater Determinants related to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. Slater Determinants satisfy this principle by ensuring that the wave function for a multi-electron system is antisymmetric, meaning it changes sign when the positions of any two electrons are swapped. This allows for the accurate description of electronic configurations in quantum systems.