Undergraduate physics to graduate Applied mathematics

In summary, if you want to pursue a masters in applied math, you should take courses in calculus, probability, linear algebra, and computer science.
theblackfish
I am an undergrad in physics and math (pure). I want to do msc in Applied mathematics . There are few things that worry me :

1. Topology, complex analysis, differential equations, calculus, Probability, 3 Analysis and 3 Algebra - these are roughly my courses. I didn’t take any “applied” kind of courses. So can what are some courses I should definitely take before going to grad school ?

2. Does not having an Applied math undergraduate degree put me in disadvantage when I apply for msc in applied math ?

3. My friend says I have really good physics background and I should apply for physics msc programmes and then later shift to applied things slowly ? What’s your take on that ? (I really don’t feel like studying physics anymore )

4. My programming skills are also weak. What should I learn in programming before I go to grad school ?

Thank you in advance (if you answer)

Physics news on Phys.org
Just curious, what drives your shift from physics to maths?

tade said:
Just curious, what drives your shift from physics to maths?

I joined my undergrad to do Math but then liked physics a lot. Now I realized I am not that good at physics, so I want to shift now.

theblackfish said:
I joined my undergrad to do Math but then liked physics a lot. Now I realized I am not that good at physics, so I want to shift now.
Lol, the math in math is harder than the math in physics.

tade said:
I think I'll be fine. I took more pure math courses than physics courses.

theblackfish said:
I think I'll be fine. I took more pure math courses than physics courses.
hmm, then that might make you well prepared for physics?

tade said:

I know this post is late, but I have the following comments.

theblackfish said:
I am an undergrad in physics and math (pure). I want to do msc in Applied mathematics . There are few things that worry me :

1. Topology, complex analysis, differential equations, calculus, Probability, 3 Analysis and 3 Algebra - these are roughly my courses. I didn’t take any “applied” kind of courses. So can what are some courses I should definitely take before going to grad school ?

Most applied math courses in graduate school require all of the above courses you mention as prerequisites, so I feel that you are well prepared to take any future applied math courses. The only courses I might suggest if possible is to add a couple of statistics courses, and maybe more computer science courses (see my response further below on that one).

2. Does not having an Applied math undergraduate degree put me in disadvantage when I apply for msc in applied math ?

Not at all.

Graduate programs in applied math typically require someone with a degree in a quantitative field. A bachelor's degree in math and physics is more than adequate in that regard, and countless people have been admitted to applied math programs with the kind of background you have.

3. My friend says I have really good physics background and I should apply for physics msc programmes and then later shift to applied things slowly ? What’s your take on that ? (I really don’t feel like studying physics anymore )

I think that is really up to you, but if you don't feel like pursuing further studies in physics, I don't see the need to go further. If you want to pursue further studies in applied math, you should pursue further studies in applied math. It's that simple.

4. My programming skills are also weak. What should I learn in programming before I go to grad school ?

That's an area of concern. If your programming skills are weak, you definitely need to firm this up. I would suggest taking as many computer science courses as possible before graduation, starting from introductory courses and then beyond. Study algorithms and data structures, and any courses on numerical analysis (as these are very important for most fields in applied math).

If you can't take them all by the time you are finishing your degree, I would suggest going through online programming courses through Coursera or EdX to firm up your programming. I would also suggest working on practice programming exercises and post these on Github.

Likes FactChecker
You should learn or take as many classes in numerical methods, statistics, and computer programming as you can. Don't worry about having a disadvantage in grad school as long as you have the prerequisites. Your degree might take a little longer so you can learn the prerequisites, but do not be in a hurry. Nobody will care if you took another year to get a masters. Classes in graduate math are often full of people who have had that course before and are reviewing for preliminary tests, so be aware that comparing yourself to them may be a discouraging mistake.

Likes StatGuy2000

1. What is the difference between undergraduate physics and graduate applied mathematics?

Undergraduate physics focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the physical world, while graduate applied mathematics involves using mathematical tools and techniques to solve real-world problems in various fields, including physics.

2. Can I pursue graduate applied mathematics with an undergraduate degree in physics?

Yes, many graduate programs in applied mathematics welcome students with a background in physics. However, you may need to take additional courses in mathematics to strengthen your foundation.

3. What skills do I need to succeed in graduate applied mathematics coming from an undergraduate physics background?

Having a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in areas such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, is crucial. Additionally, strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills are essential for success in graduate applied mathematics.

4. How can I prepare for graduate applied mathematics while still in my undergraduate physics program?

You can take advanced mathematics courses, such as mathematical modeling or numerical analysis, as electives in your undergraduate program. You can also participate in research projects that involve mathematical modeling or data analysis to gain practical experience.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a graduate degree in applied mathematics and an undergraduate degree in physics?

Graduates with a background in both applied mathematics and physics have a wide range of career opportunities, including working in research and development, data analysis, finance, engineering, and many other industries. They can also pursue further studies in fields such as astrophysics, biophysics, or computational physics.