Understanding Amino Acid Acidity and Basicity in Reactions

  • Thread starter Thread starter jsmith613
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acids Amino acids
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 4K views
jsmith613
Messages
609
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



How does the following reaction demonstrate an amino acid as an acid:
H2NCH2COOH + CH3OH → H2NCH2COOCH3 + H2O

How does the following reaction demonstrate an amino acid as a base:
H2NCH2COOH + CH3COCl → CH3CONHCH2COOH + HCl

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


An acid is a species that DONATES a proton and a base is a species that ACCEPTS a proton

In both situations it seems more like an esterfication reaction than an acid / base reaction.

Also in the second reaction the H2N loses an H+ for water (I would call that acidic behaviour but it is actually basic behaviour) and the first example COOH loses OH (basic behaviour but is classified as acidic)

I am confused :S
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is not about a standard Bronsted acid definition. Think outside of the box. What is an ester?

That's what they ask about, doesn't mean I like the question.
 
Borek said:
This is not about a standard Bronsted acid definition. Think outside of the box. What is an ester?

That's what they ask about, doesn't mean I like the question.

well an ester is a type of condensation reaction in which a small molecule is eliminated?
 
No, ester is not a type of a reaction. It is a product of a reaction. Reaction of what with what?
 
Borek said:
No, ester is not a type of a reaction. It is a product of a reaction. Reaction of what with what?

a carbonyl carbon (e.g: COOH or COCl) and a hydrogen attached to an electronegative atom (e.g: OH, H2N)
 
In fact another site says its when the hydrogen of an organic acid is replaced by an organic group (e.g: alkyl)

BUT the acid LOSES OH not just the H?
 
The other site is wrong. That is, it is wrong when you look at the mechanism, but it is OK when you look just at the product structure.

Ester is produced by a reaction of an acid (even doesn't have to be organic - think sulfuric, phosphoric) with an alcohol.
 
Borek said:
The other site is wrong. That is, it is wrong when you look at the mechanism, but it is OK when you look just at the product structure.

Ester is produced by a reaction of an acid (even doesn't have to be organic - think sulfuric, phosphoric) with an alcohol.

ok so I get the first one but how does the second rxn demonstrate basic behaviour?
 
To be honest - I don't see how. I told you I don't like the question.
 
Borek said:
To be honest - I don't see how. I told you I don't like the question.

nm
thanks for your help :)