1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding an equation in a dynamics spring problem

1. Apr 30, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass [itex]M = 0.5kg[/itex], attached to a spring of elastic constant [itex]k = 3N/m[/itex] on a vertical wall, slides without friction through an horizontal air table. A disk of mass [itex]m = 0.05kg[/itex] is placed on the block, whose surface has a coefficient of static friction [itex]\mu _e = 0.8[/itex]. What is the maximum oscillation amplitude of the block so the disk won't slide off of it?

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\vec F = m\vec a \\ \vec F = -kx \\ F_{\mu e}^{max} = \mu _emg[/itex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I have already solved this problem, and then I've checked part of a solution on the web containing an insight on the theory behind it:

1c7011bead14427b87f743c4a160802d.png
    I don't really understand the second part where the author talks about the non-inertial frame reference, and about the forces involving it, and ends up with the equation
    0b68a8320cdf4b95900429b9740468a3.png
    Even though I was able to solve the exercise, I reached the last equation through a more direct way, without thinking too much about it, so this explanation made me a bit confused. Am I being clear enough?

I hope someone can help!

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There are cases where noninertial frames make life simpler, but this is not one of them. The sign of a is irrelevant since reversing it just leads to the other extreme of x, so it matters not whether you write a=μeg or a=-μeg. This same equation arises whether you think in terms of an inertial frame or a noninertial one.

4. May 1, 2017 #3
    Hmm. I think I get it. So this is why in these equations we don't really take into account the negative signs? Because we're just interested in the value?

5. May 1, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, I'm saying that both signs are correct for maximum displacement; but the question asks for amplitude, which is by definition the magnitude of the maximum displacement, so non-negative.

6. May 1, 2017 #5
    OK. I see. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted