Understanding an equation in a dynamics spring problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block attached to a spring and a disk on a frictionless surface. The question asks for the maximum oscillation amplitude of the block so that the disk does not slide off. The equations used include the force equation, the elastic constant equation, and the maximum static friction equation. The author also mentions a non-inertial frame of reference and the use of negative signs in the equations.
Bunny-chan

Homework Statement

A block of mass [itex]M = 0.5kg[/itex], attached to a spring of elastic constant [itex]k = 3N/m[/itex] on a vertical wall, slides without friction through an horizontal air table. A disk of mass [itex]m = 0.05kg[/itex] is placed on the block, whose surface has a coefficient of static friction [itex]\mu _e = 0.8[/itex]. What is the maximum oscillation amplitude of the block so the disk won't slide off of it?

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec F = m\vec a \\ \vec F = -kx \\ F_{\mu e}^{max} = \mu _emg[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already solved this problem, and then I've checked part of a solution on the web containing an insight on the theory behind it:

1c7011bead14427b87f743c4a160802d.png
I don't really understand the second part where the author talks about the non-inertial frame reference, and about the forces involving it, and ends up with the equation
0b68a8320cdf4b95900429b9740468a3.png

Even though I was able to solve the exercise, I reached the last equation through a more direct way, without thinking too much about it, so this explanation made me a bit confused. Am I being clear enough?

I hope someone can help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bunny-chan said:
this explanation made me a bit confused.
There are cases where noninertial frames make life simpler, but this is not one of them. The sign of a is irrelevant since reversing it just leads to the other extreme of x, so it matters not whether you write a=μeg or a=-μeg. This same equation arises whether you think in terms of an inertial frame or a noninertial one.

haruspex said:
There are cases where noninertial frames make life simpler, but this is not one of them. The sign of a is irrelevant since reversing it just leads to the other extreme of x, so it matters not whether you write a=μeg or a=-μeg. This same equation arises whether you think in terms of an inertial frame or a noninertial one.
Hmm. I think I get it. So this is why in these equations we don't really take into account the negative signs? Because we're just interested in the value?

Bunny-chan said:
Hmm. I think I get it. So this is why in these equations we don't really take into account the negative signs? Because we're just interested in the value?
No, I'm saying that both signs are correct for maximum displacement; but the question asks for amplitude, which is by definition the magnitude of the maximum displacement, so non-negative.

Likes Bunny-chan
haruspex said:
No, I'm saying that both signs are correct for maximum displacement; but the question asks for amplitude, which is by definition the magnitude of the maximum displacement, so non-negative.
OK. I see. Thank you.

What is a dynamics spring problem?

A dynamics spring problem is a mathematical problem that involves analyzing the behavior and motion of a spring system. This can include calculating the forces acting on the spring, determining the displacement and velocity of the spring, and solving for the equilibrium position.

What is an equation in a dynamics spring problem?

An equation in a dynamics spring problem is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the various variables involved in the problem. This can include the spring constant, mass of the object attached to the spring, and any external forces acting on the system.

How do I understand an equation in a dynamics spring problem?

To understand an equation in a dynamics spring problem, it is important to break it down into its individual components and understand the meaning and significance of each variable. It may also be helpful to visualize the problem and how the variables are related to each other.

What is the role of the spring constant in a dynamics spring problem?

The spring constant is a key factor in determining the behavior of a spring system. It represents the stiffness of the spring and determines how much force is required to stretch or compress the spring a certain distance. In a dynamics spring problem, the spring constant is often used in equations to calculate the forces acting on the spring.

What are some real-life applications of dynamics spring problems?

Dynamics spring problems have many real-life applications, such as in engineering and physics. They can be used to design and analyze various mechanical systems, such as car suspensions, door hinges, and shock absorbers. They are also used in fields such as seismology to study the motion of earthquakes and in sports to understand the behavior of equipment such as trampolines and diving boards.