Trouble understanding the influence of a real spring in a system

In summary, the hypothesis is that the force of a real spring can be described as $F = -kx + \alpha x^2$ with x being the spring deformation and k its constant. The \alpha x^2 would be the force lost by the spring as x becomes too big. To test that, a system was build with block of mass m suspended by a vertical spring. Different blocks with different masses were used and, in the equilibrium state, the value y of its height in relation to the ground was registered.
hcpyz
The hypothesis is that the force of a real spring can be described as $$F = -kx + \alpha x^2$$ with x being the spring deformation and k its constant. The \alpha x^2 would be the force lost by the spring as x becomes too big. To test that, a system was build with block of mass m suspended by a vertical spring. Different blocks with different masses were used and, in the equilibrium state, the value y of its height in relation to the ground was registered. Worth mentioning that for the problem $$x = y_0 - y$$ with y_0 being the height of the lower end of the spring in relation to the ground when there is no block.

**The problem is**: Find a function y = y(m) in terms of k, alpha and y_0 .

**What I've done so far**

I thought that since we are dealing with a mass spring system we would find an equation for the system without any mass being weighted. So:
$$
-k(y_0) + \alpha(y_0)^2 = 0
$$
I don't feel very confident with that statement but moving on...
The I found an equation for the system when there's a mass being weighted, which would be found by doing the force diagram. This is being really confusing to me, so...

$$
P = mg = -kx + \alpha x^2
$$
Here I'm really confused with the minus sing. But well, moving on again...
$$
mg = -k(y_0 - y) + \alpha (y_0 - y)^2
$$
And then I thought that it would be a good idea to solve this system.

$$
\begin{cases}
-k(y_0) + \alpha(y_0)^2 = 0 \\
mg = -k(y_0 - y) + \alpha (y_0 - y)^2
\end{cases}
$$

I've tried doing it by hand and also with wolfram mathematica but it seems unsolvable thus I think I'm missing the conceptual part of it in the force diagram I built with the equation, am I getting the minus sing wrong?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
If ##~mg = -k(y_0 - y) + \alpha (y_0 - y)^2~,## what prevents you from solving the quadratic for ##(y_0-y)## and then moving ##y_0## to the other side of the equation? Wouldn't that give you ##y(m)##? Be sure to choose the solution that is physically meaningful.

Addendum on edit:
The "no mass" equation you have is incorrect. The variable ##y## is the height of the mass above ground. We are also given that the height above ground when no mass is hanging is ##y_0##. So if you substitute ##m=0## and ##y=y_0## in the force equation, you get $$0*g=-k(y_0-y_0)+\alpha(y_0-y_0)^2\implies0=0.$$Nothing usable here.

Last edited:
Likes hcpyz
kuruman said:
If ##~mg = -k(y_0 - y) + \alpha (y_0 - y)^2~,## what prevents you from solving the quadratic for ##(y_0-y)## and then moving ##y_0## to the other side of the equation? Wouldn't that give you ##y(m)##? Be sure to choose the solution that is physically meaningful.

Addendum on edit:
The "no mass" equation you have is incorrect. The variable ##y## is the height of the mass above ground. We are also given that the height above ground when no mass is hanging is ##y_0##. So if you substitute ##m=0## and ##y=y_0## in the force equation, you get $$0*g=-k(y_0-y_0)+\alpha(y_0-y_0)^2\implies0=0.$$Nothing usable here.
oh wow, that was way simpler than I was thinking. Thank you!

Likes kuruman

What is a real spring and how does it influence a system?

A real spring is a physical object made of elastic material that can stretch or compress when a force is applied to it. In a system, a real spring can affect the motion and stability of objects by providing a restoring force that opposes any external forces acting on the system.

How does the stiffness of a real spring impact a system?

The stiffness of a real spring, also known as its spring constant, determines the amount of force required to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance. In a system, a stiffer spring will provide a stronger restoring force, while a less stiff spring will provide a weaker restoring force.

What is the difference between a linear and non-linear real spring?

A linear real spring follows Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by the spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. A non-linear real spring does not follow this law and may have a more complex relationship between force and displacement.

How does the position of a real spring affect a system?

The position of a real spring within a system can impact the equilibrium and stability of the system. Placing the spring at different points can change the direction and magnitude of the restoring force it provides, which can affect the overall motion of the system.

What are some real-life applications of understanding the influence of a real spring in a system?

Understanding the influence of a real spring is important in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics. It is used in the design of structures, machines, and medical devices, as well as in studying the behavior of materials and living organisms.