Understanding Circuits Filter Problem: Steps and Formulas for Solving

In summary, The conversation involves a student seeking help with a homework problem in a circuits class. They share their steps and equations for solving the problem, but there are some errors and misunderstandings. The expert advises on how to correctly calculate the transfer function for the first stage and how to simplify and factor the final expression. They also point out a numerical error and suggest correcting it.
Nubcakes
I've got this homework problem in a circuits class and I think I understand it but once I get a good ways into it, I kind of run into a dead end. It's kind of hard to explain, so I will just show the problem and my steps toward solving it. Hopefully someone here can point out the flaws in my way

11-10_1.gif

I took the liberty of cutting the circuit into two stages. I am pretty sure you need to do that to solve the problem. First, to find the equation, which I think is the "voltage transfer function", of stage 1 you find the driving point impedance. If you've got coils and/or caps I am pretty sure you need to convert those to the S-Domain.

If I understand how this works correctly; Coils are simply "Ls" and caps are "1/(Cs)". Resistors are simply "R". Using this we can create a formula for stage 1 like this:

11-10_2.gif

Now, my professor showed very obvious dislike for this form. I believe she converted it to something like this:

11-10_3.gif

At this point I think you can replace the variables with the units given in the circuit. So, when you replace the variables you get something like this;

11-10_4.gif

I left the "K" in there to let me know which one is the resistor. Now, I believe this concludes getting the formula for the first stage. Let's move on to the second stage, which I believe is a non-inverting Op-Amp.

11-10_5.gif

In this case Vin is the result from Stage 1. So once we get the formula for Stage 2, I think we should multiply them together. However, before we can do that, I've got some work to do. Rf is the feed back resistor which can stay the same in this problem. Ri is the input resistor which is not exactly a "resistor" in this case. Since we have a cap and resistor in series it turns out to be similar to what we did in stage 1.

11-10_6.gif

Before I go any further, I found an interesting method for simplifying things with the Op Amp equation.

11-10_7.gif

This seems to make things alittle easier. So now we punch in the numbers for everything.

11-10_8.gif

Now that we have an (ugly) equation for Stage 2, we multiply that out with Stage 1's equation.

11-10_9.gif

And... this is where I am unsure what to do. I think the result from that function will give V2(s). Since we are not given a value for V1(s) I can't really divide it out. Do I just leave it like that?

The answer in the back of the book is:

11-10_bookANS.gif

Hopefully this doesn't get deleted for not completely following the format desired by the forum owners :grumpy:

Thanks in advance for any help/hints!~

Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing, you've made a numerical error. In the white box labeled Stage1, you have correctly used 20k for the resistor value, but two more boxes down, the 20k became 10k. You should fix that.

Now, you don't want the driving point impedance for the first stage. The driving point impedance is not the same as the transfer function for the first stage.

It's easy to get the transfer function for the first stage; that stage is just a voltage divider. So just calculate the voltage divider output as a function of its input.

In the last white box, you have a complicated expression equated to V2; you should show it equated to V2(s)/V1(S) as in the problem statement.

Finally, after you get the correct transfer function for stage 1, you'll still have a complicated expression. You have to multiply it all out, and then simplify and factor.

1. What is a circuits filter problem?

A circuits filter problem refers to a situation where a circuit is not performing as expected due to issues with the filter component. A filter is a device that removes unwanted signals or noise from an electrical circuit, and a problem with this component can cause disruptions in the circuit's function.

2. What are common symptoms of a circuits filter problem?

Some common symptoms of a circuits filter problem include distorted or noisy output signals, reduced signal strength, and unexpected behavior from the circuit. These issues can cause malfunctions or failures in electronic devices that rely on the circuit for proper functioning.

3. How can I diagnose a circuits filter problem?

To diagnose a circuits filter problem, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. This can help identify any abnormalities or inconsistencies that may be caused by a faulty filter. Additionally, visual inspection of the filter component may reveal any physical damage or defects.

4. What are some common causes of circuits filter problems?

Circuits filter problems can be caused by a variety of factors, such as aging or damaged components, incorrect installation or wiring, or exposure to extreme temperatures or environmental conditions. Electrical surges or power fluctuations can also damage filters and cause problems in the circuit.

5. How can a circuits filter problem be fixed?

The solution to a circuits filter problem will depend on the specific issue and the severity of the problem. In some cases, simply replacing the faulty filter component can fix the problem. However, if the issue is more complex, it may require troubleshooting and repairing other components in the circuit. Consulting a professional or the circuit's manufacturer may also be necessary for more complicated problems.