Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding Einstein Field equations?

1. May 29, 2015 #1
    Hello dear Physicists,

I am very curious about understanding the math and the nature properties of the Einstein Field Equations.What I need to know is,what concrete mathematical operations I need to know and understand,and have experience with to understend this theory.I'm a quick learner and one of the best young physicists in my country. But the curiosity never ends.

Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2015 #2
    You should have some familiarity with Tensor calculus, Reimannian geometry, and Lagrangian mechanics, and all the math those subjects entail. I think that's enough to get going, but others might have more suggestions.

4. May 29, 2015 #3

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

It's all down to pseudo-Riemannian geometry. Sort of.

Schaum's Outline "Differential Geometry"
    Synge and Schild "Tensor Calculus"
    Papapetrou "Lectures on General Relativity"
    Weinberg "Gravitation and Cosmology"

Attached Files:

5. May 30, 2015 #4
    Thanks man,but the Papapetrou book is too expensive,do you have any similar replacement ?

6. Jun 1, 2015 #5

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Used books?

Text books are expensive. There isn't much to be done about it. It is a problem of relatively small numbers of copies sold combined with expense of type-setting equations. You are unlikely to find a cheap version of such a text that is very useful.

Maybe one of the on-line university courses will be helpful. I have not done them lately so the only link I have is this one.

http://www.oeconsortium.org/

I don't know if they even have a general relativity course. But that is the idea of what I am talking about. I think MIT has some on-line classes for free or for cheap.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook