Understanding $\frac{1}{2}(\sin(z))^2$ and its Solution Using the Attached Image

• MHB
  • Thread starter nacho-man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is trying to revise material they have forgotten. They are discussing a specific problem involving a line integral and the function $\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{1}{2}\sin 2z$. They are asking for help understanding how the function becomes $\frac{1}{2}(\sin(z))^2$ and if the given path, $C$, affects the solution. The conversation includes a correction to the misunderstanding of the integral and clarification on the use of integrating. The summary ends with a thank you message from the person asking for help.
nacho-man
Referring to the attached image.

i seem to have forgotten this material and am trying to revise,

how/why does it become $\frac{1}{2}$ $(\sin(z))^2 $' ?

and does the path $C$ that we are given come into play in the solution?

Sorry for the noobness, any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• 1c help.jpg
    1c help.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 52
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't. [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sin{(z)}\cos{(z)} = \frac{1}{2}\sin{(2z)} \end{align*}[/tex], not [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{2}\sin^2{(z)} \end{align*}[/tex]...

I should clarify I meant how did they go from question to step 1, then step 2, step 3.

what is being done?

Couldn't be more wrong I'm afraid. First of all, this is a LINE INTEGRAL. The so-called "Solution" has not taken that into account at all. In fact, there has not been any integrating done at all either...

nacho said:
Referring to the attached image.

i seem to have forgotten this material and am trying to revise,

how/why does it become $\frac{1}{2}$ $(\sin(z))^2 $' ?

and does the path $C$ that we are given come into play in the solution?

Sorry for the noobness, any help is appreciated!

The function $\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{1}{2}\ \sin 2 z $ is analytic over rhe entire complex plane, so that the line integral is independent from the path connecting the point 0 to the point 1 + i. That means that is...

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \int_{c} \sin 2 z\ d z = \frac{1}{2}\ (\int_{0}^{1} \sin 2 x\ d x + i\ \int_{0}^{1} \sin 2\ (1 + i y)\ d y )\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

thanks fellas!

1. What is a solution?

A solution is a homogeneous mixture of two or more substances, where one substance (the solute) is dissolved in another substance (the solvent).

2. How is a solution formed?

A solution is formed by the process of dissolution, where the solute particles are surrounded by solvent particles and are evenly distributed throughout the solution.

3. What factors affect the formation of a solution?

The factors that affect the formation of a solution include temperature, pressure, and the nature of the solute and solvent. Solids dissolve faster in higher temperatures and liquids dissolve better under high pressure.

4. What is the concentration of a solution?

The concentration of a solution refers to the amount of solute present in a given amount of solvent. It can be expressed as a percentage, molarity, or molality.

5. How can the concentration of a solution be changed?

The concentration of a solution can be changed by adding more solute or solvent, or by changing the temperature or pressure. It can also be changed through chemical reactions that either produce or consume the solute.