Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding Gaisser's atmospheric muon parameterization?

1. Jun 7, 2015 #1
    Hi all,

I'm wondering about an equation for the differential flux of atmospheric muons that looks like this:

[tex] \frac{dN_{\mu}}{dE_{\mu}} \approx \frac{0.14 E^{-2.7}}{cm^{2}.s.sr.GeV} \Bigg\{ \frac{1}{1 + \frac{1.1 E_{\mu}cos(\theta)}{115 GeV}} + \frac{0.054}{1 + \frac{1.1 E_{\mu}cos(\theta)}{850 GeV}} \Bigg\}[/tex]

Despite trawling the net, the only source I can find for it is one textbook (Cosmic Rays and Particle Physics, Thomas K. Gaisser (1990)). However, I'm finding this textbook pretty impenetrable. I want to understand how this equation was arrived at. I'm guessing based on this book it's a difficult thing to explain here but if anyone knows of any document that can get me to at least semi-understand this I would be most grateful.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2015 #2
    It is a fit to the data. Main part is an E^-2.7 energy dependence. The rest is angle dependence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook