Understanding Ligand Strength: [Cu(H2O)6]2+ to [CuCl4]2-

  • Thread starter Thread starter AryaUnderfoot
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ligands Strength
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
AryaUnderfoot
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


From what I've read, [Cu(H2O)6]2+ when reacts with concentrated hydrochloric acid, the chloro ligand will displace the aqua ligand and form [CuCl4]2-

Homework Equations


[Cu(H2O)6]2+ + 4Cl- <--> [CuCl4]2- + 6H2O
( <---> means reversible reaction, I don't know how to type it out, sorry)

The Attempt at a Solution


But chloro is a weaker ligand than aqua, how can the ligand substitution reaction happen?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect the high concentration of the Cl- ions is sufficient to shift the equilibrium over to the right (Le Chatelier's principle) enough to cause a majority of the complex ions to undergo the ligand substitution.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: AryaUnderfoot
Water concentration is (almost) always much higher.

It is not just about the ligands, you are ignoring change of the geometry. Not that I know it is the answer here - I just see you are not taking it into account.
 
I also like to ask, since no one comment about that, is water a ligand or aqua? I know that both refer to H2O, but if I want to mention a ligand, which one of them, aqua/aqua ligand/water/water ligand, is more appropriate?