Understanding Limits: Why |h|/h Approaches -1 as h Approaches 0

  • Thread starter Thread starter ratios
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
ratios
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello all,

I don't understand why |h|/h will become -1 as h approches 0 from the left. I can see how the numerator becomes negative, as |x| = -x if x< 0, but shouldn't the denominator become negative also since h < 0 when we approach 0 from the left? So why isn't the answer -h/-h = 1?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The numerator is always positive. It's true that |x|=-x when x<0, but in that case -x>0, and |x|/x=-x/x=-1.
 
ratios said:
I can see how the numerator becomes negative, as |x| = -x if x< 0
You see wrong. Here, -x is positive.