Understanding Mapping: Domain, Range & W Subset of C

In summary, mapping is the process of relating values from one set to another set through a function. This is useful in various mathematical concepts such as conformal maps. The images provided illustrate the relationship between a domain and range, with specific values in the domain corresponding to specific values in the range. When discussing subsets, it means that all values in the subset are also part of the larger set. Examples of functions where the range is a subset of the complex plane are given, showing how the mapping changes based on the function used.
nacho-man
Hi,
This is a little different from most questions in that it's not something I want to solve, but rather hoping I could get a little clearer explanation on
what mapping is and why/when we use it?

I'm soon to go over conformal maps, but I don't think i understand anything to do with mapping as of yet. If someone could break it down in english, backed with some mathematic intuition that would be so very helpful, because mathematical jargon just confuses me, and that's all textbooks seem to use.

I have added two images.
The one with the domain and range, I'm assuming is just saying that a specific value in the domain corresponds to a specific value in the range. Is this the essence of mapping?as for the other image, What is being referred to by W when it says W $\subset C$
I know C is referring to the complex plane. I am not sure what this information is telling me. could someone give me an example of a function where W is a subset of the complex plane, and when W isn't? (After having defined what W is )

Thank you! you're always so much help mhb

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 57
  • domain to R.jpg
    domain to R.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 56
Physics news on Phys.org
nacho said:
Hi,
This is a little different from most questions in that it's not something I want to solve, but rather hoping I could get a little clearer explanation on
what mapping is and why/when we use it?

I'm soon to go over conformal maps, but I don't think i understand anything to do with mapping as of yet. If someone could break it down in english, backed with some mathematic intuition that would be so very helpful, because mathematical jargon just confuses me, and that's all textbooks seem to use.

I have added two images.
The one with the domain and range, I'm assuming is just saying that a specific value in the domain corresponds to a specific value in the range. Is this the essence of mapping?as for the other image, What is being referred to by W when it says W $\subset C$
I know C is referring to the complex plane. I am not sure what this information is telling me. could someone give me an example of a function where W is a subset of the complex plane, and when W isn't? (After having defined what W is )

Thank you! you're always so much help mhb

I visualize a function (a mapping) as a rule between two sets. For each element in the first set (which we call the domain) there is a unique element in the second set (which we call the range). A detailed by easy to follow discussion about functions can be found >>here<<.

Now \(W\subset\mathbb{C}\) tells you that \(W\) is a subset of \(\mathbb{C}\). It just means that each element of the set \(W\) lies in set \(\mathbb{C}\). An example would be the set of real numbers; \(W=\Re\). This is a subset of the complex numbers.

A mapping takes a value from some set $D$ and gives the image in another set $R$. In the complex plane mapping is interesting , take for example the set $|z|\leq 1$ . Now take for example the following function $f(z)=z$ . So we are mapping $z$ into itself. So if $|z|\leq 1$ is a disk with radius $1$ the mapping will be also a disk with radius $1$. Now take for example the function $f(z)=2z$ . The mapping will differ because we have $2$ so if we let for example $z=1$ we have $f(1)=2$ .So here we have $D:= |z|\leq 1$ , $\, R:= |z|\leq 2$.

1. What is a domain in mapping?

A domain in mapping refers to the set of all possible input values or independent variables in a function. It is the set of values for which the function is defined and has a corresponding output value.

2. What is a range in mapping?

A range in mapping refers to the set of all possible output values or dependent variables in a function. It is the set of values that a function can produce for a given set of input values.

3. How do you determine the domain and range of a function?

To determine the domain of a function, you need to look at the input values and see which values are allowed or restricted based on the given conditions. To determine the range, you need to look at the output values and see which values can be produced by the function.

4. What is the difference between the domain and range of a function?

The main difference between the domain and range of a function is that the domain refers to the set of input values while the range refers to the set of output values. In other words, the domain is the independent variable and the range is the dependent variable.

5. What is a subset of the complex numbers (C) in mapping?

A subset of the complex numbers in mapping refers to a set of complex numbers that are included in a larger set of complex numbers. This subset can have specific restrictions or conditions, such as a subset of real numbers or a subset of imaginary numbers, depending on the given mapping.