Why is XY polar but XY2 isn't necessarily polar?

  • Topic: Chemistry 
  • Thread starter Thread starter bjoyful
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Molecules Polar
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 5K views
bjoyful
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
A diatomic molecule XY that contains a polar bond must be a polar molecule. A triatomic molecule XY2 that contains a polar bond does not necessarily form a polar molecule. I need some examples of real molecules to help me explain the difference.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
concentration of hydrogen ions

oops...posted wrong message:(
 
Last edited:
bjoyful said:
so you are saying to look at CO2 as an example?


That's what he/she said.
 
so I guess my question should become a little more specific...can someone tell me how (or give me a website) CO2 demonstates this?!
 
..
CO2 = :O::C::O:
..

H2O = H::O::H

So I compared them this way, but am I using the right method for this problem? I know that H2O is a polar covalent bonds forming a polar covalent molecule. But carbon is my center in CO2, not oxygen as it is in H2O. Help:(

edit: my dots are suppose to be over the carbon to represent non bonded pairs...
 
hint: CO2 is linear and H2O is bent

a molecule is polar when it has a side with a partial negative charge and the opposite side with a partial positive charge.

try to locate these partial charges on the molecules.
 
H2O does not have any double bonds, BTW; its electron distribution is why it's a different shape to CO2 (as Kushal pointed out). Only vaguely related to the question, but an important concept.