What is the derivative of x factorial?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Emmanuel_Euler
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 5K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Whenever I read an article from Wikipedia there always ends up being ten more tabs opened in my browser or something ridiculous.
 
micromass said:
Read what exactly? What are you trying to make clear?
I think that WWGD should read the article!
because he did not know that the gamma Function can write it as X!.
this is my point.
 
Emmanuel_Euler said:
I think that WWGD should read the article!
because he did not know that the gamma Function can write it as X!.
this is my point.

Don't worry, WWGD knows the connection between the Gamma function and the functorial pretty well. I guess you are missing his point: the Gamma function can not be written in function of the factorial. Yes, it is true that ##\Gamma(n) = (n-1)!##, but this is only for positive integers ##n##. For nonintegers, we do not have that relationship since the factorial is not defined for non-integers. By definition, the factorial is a function ##\mathbb{N}\rightarrow \mathbb{N}##. There are many extensions of this, only one of them is given by a Gamma function.
The derivative of ##n\rightarrow n!## is undefined.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and Emmanuel_Euler
Thank you for explaining.
You was right about me.
i missed his point.