Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding the idea of coherence

1. Apr 21, 2007 #1
    I'm having some trouble understanding the idea of coherence.

Consider the phrase: "a coherent superposition of states."

Here I understand the coherence to refer to the states being coupled to each other and capable of interfering, due to a perturbing field.

How does this relate to coherent light, which I understand to be light that is monochromatic and phase-correlated? What happens if you shine light that is monochromatic, but not coherent, on the atomic system?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2007 #2
    I think I basically get it.

"In general, we say that atomic coherence exists when the density matrix has off-diagonal elements" - Quantum Optics, Scully & Zubairy

A coherence exists when an interference can occur

4. Apr 22, 2007 #3
    In case anybody is interested, here is why I was asking...

For our QM final we had to pick a topic and do a writeup/presentation. I was intrigued by electromagnetically induced transparency and ended up writing generally about interference in three-level atomic systems. I've attached my writeup - I actually haven't turned it in yet, so if you have any comments, please do share.

Only lame thing is I use a probability amplitude treatment and couldn't get nice closed forms for the absorption and refractive index curves near resonance, which are the useful result here. I could have done the density matrix, but probably not in the 15 minutes I have to present. Solving for the susceptibility gets a little ugly

cheers,
    Kevin

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?