Understanding the quadratic Stark effect

In summary, the conversation discusses the Stark effect, which is when a system is perturbed by a constant electric field. The second order correction to the ground state energy is proportional to F^2 and is given by E_0^2 = -\sum_n \frac{|<n|(-F D_z)|0>|^2}{E_n - E_0}. There is also a discussion about the definition of \alpha, the polarizability, and how it relates to the classical definition of D_z = \alpha F. However, it is not clear how these two definitions are equivalent. Further exploration is needed in perturbation theory to connect them.
rgoerke
This is what I understand right now: The stark effect is when we perturb a system with hamiltonian H_0 by applying a constant electric field, so that

[tex] H = H_0 - F D_z [/tex]

where F is the field, aligned in the z direction, and D_z is the z-component of the induced dipole. The first order correction to the ground state energy in perturbation theory is 0 because of symmetry, but the second order correction should be propositional to [tex] F^2 [/tex], and is in general given by

[tex] E_0^2 =-\sum_n \frac{|<n|(-F D_z)|0>|^2}{E_n - E_0}[/tex]

What I don't understand: I have seen it claimed in a couple of sources that the second order correction to energy is

[tex] E_0^2 = -\frac{1}{2}\alpha F^2 [/tex]

Where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the polarizability. I have not problem with making this definition, since it has the correct F-dependence, but it is claimed that this definition is consistent with the classical definition of polarizability: that to first order [tex]D_z = \alpha F[/tex], or equivalently

[tex] \alpha = \frac{<F|D_z|F>}{F} [/tex]

where [tex] |F> [/tex] is the ground state of the full perturbed hamiltonian.

I'm having trouble convincing myself that these definitions are consistent. I have tried expanding the left hand side of

[tex] <F| H_0 - F D_z |F> = E_0 - \frac{1}{2}\alpha F^2[/tex]

by setting [tex] |F> = |0> + F|F'> [/tex], where [tex] |0> [/tex] is the ground state of [tex] H_0 [/tex] and I can get to an expression like

[tex] \frac{<F|D_z|F>}{F} = <F'|H_0|F'> + \frac{1}{2}\alpha [/tex]

which seems to suggest

[tex] F^2 <F'|H_0|F'> = \frac{1}{2}\alpha F^2= -E_0^2[/tex]

I'm not sure if this is true, or if I've made a mistake. Is it generally true, that if [tex]\psi_0^1[/tex] is the first order correction to the wave function, that we have

[tex] <\psi_0^1|H_0|\psi_0^1> = -E_0^2 [/tex] ?

Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
fzero said:
If you want to compute the energy of a state to 2nd order, you must go to 2nd order in the expansion of the state. See, e.g. http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/752.mf1i.spring03/Time_Ind_PT.htm

Right, but if I include the second order ([tex] |F> = |0> + F|F'> + F^2|F''> [/tex]) term I get

[tex] \frac{<F|D_z|F>}{F} = <F'|H_0|F'> + F^2<F''|H_0|F''> + \frac{1}{2}\alpha [/tex]

but the claim is only that

[tex] \frac{<F|D_z|F>}{F} = \alpha [/tex]

to first order, so the [tex]F^2<F''|H_0|F''>[/tex] should not contribute.

It is possible to show that

[tex] \langle \psi_0^1|H_0|\psi_0^1\rangle = -E_0^2 + E_0^0 \langle \psi_0^1|\psi_0^1\rangle [/tex]

by projecting [tex]\langle\psi_0^1|[/tex] onto the linear terms and then using the 2nd order result. The value of [tex]\langle \psi_0^1|\psi_0^1\rangle [/tex] is convention dependent and generally not 1.

In Sakurai's conventions where [tex]\langle \psi_n^0 | \psi\rangle =1[/tex],

[tex]
\langle \psi_0^1|\psi_0^1\rangle=-\sum_n \frac{|\langle \psi^0_n | D_z | \psi^0_0 \rangle |^2}{(E_n - E_0)^2}.
[/tex]

The main thing to conclude from this is that [tex]\langle \psi_0^1|\psi_0^1\rangle[/tex] itself isn't well defined and we should press further in perturbation theory to relate this to expressions using the unperturbed states.

To get back to your equivalency check, I think you're making things overcomplicated. The point is that the energy shift is equal to [tex]-\alpha F^2/2[/tex] (this is the expression that corresponds to the classical result), where

[tex]
\alpha = 2 \sum_n \frac{|\langle \psi^0_n | D_z | \psi^0_0 \rangle |^2}{E_n - E_0}
[/tex]

is independent of the external field. If you do textbook perturbation theory you can obtain this result.

fzero said:
It is possible to show that

[tex] \langle \psi_0^1|H_0|\psi_0^1\rangle = -E_0^2 + E_0^0 \langle \psi_0^1|\psi_0^1\rangle [/tex]

by projecting [tex]\langle\psi_0^1|[/tex] onto the linear terms and then using the 2nd order result. The value of [tex]\langle \psi_0^1|\psi_0^1\rangle [/tex] is convention dependent and generally not 1.

In Sakurai's conventions where [tex]\langle \psi_n^0 | \psi\rangle =1[/tex],

[tex]
\langle \psi_0^1|\psi_0^1\rangle=-\sum_n \frac{|\langle \psi^0_n | D_z | \psi^0_0 \rangle |^2}{(E_n - E_0)^2}.
[/tex]

The main thing to conclude from this is that [tex]\langle \psi_0^1|\psi_0^1\rangle[/tex] itself isn't well defined and we should press further in perturbation theory to relate this to expressions using the unperturbed states.

Thanks for your help, I will think about this.

fzero said:
To get back to your equivalency check, I think you're making things overcomplicated. The point is that the energy shift is equal to [tex]-\alpha F^2/2[/tex] (this is the expression that corresponds to the classical result), where

[tex]
\alpha = 2 \sum_n \frac{|\langle \psi^0_n | D_z | \psi^0_0 \rangle |^2}{E_n - E_0}
[/tex]

is independent of the external field. If you do textbook perturbation theory you can obtain this result.

Again, thanks for your help. I'm finishing my undergrad and only recently have been introduced to perturbation theory. I have no doubt I'm making things overcomplicated, but it's still not clear to me how [tex]E_0^2 = -\alpha F^2/2[/tex] is equivalent to the classical definition [tex] D_z = \alpha F [/tex]. I have been working with the definition of [tex] \alpha [/tex] you quoted in my project, and I understand how to derive it given [tex]E_0^2[/tex] as above, I'm just not clear on connecting it to the classical definition.

Thanks

rgoerke said:
Again, thanks for your help. I'm finishing my undergrad and only recently have been introduced to perturbation theory. I have no doubt I'm making things overcomplicated, but it's still not clear to me how [tex]E_0^2 = -\alpha F^2/2[/tex] is equivalent to the classical definition [tex] D_z = \alpha F [/tex]. I have been working with the definition of [tex] \alpha [/tex] you quoted in my project, and I understand how to derive it given [tex]E_0^2[/tex] as above, I'm just not clear on connecting it to the classical definition.

Thanks

The energy of a induced dipole in an external field is (there is a factor of 1/2 with respect to the analogous formula for a permanent dipole)

[tex] U = \frac{1}{2} \vec{D}\cdot\vec{E} , [/tex]

so if [tex] \vec{D} = \alpha \vec{E}, [/tex] then

[tex] U = - \frac{1}{2} \alpha |\vec{E}|^2.[/tex]

Of course, that just comes from classical E&M. Thanks a lot, I understand now.

1. What is the quadratic Stark effect?

The quadratic Stark effect is a phenomenon in which the energy levels of an atom or molecule are shifted due to the presence of an external electric field. This effect is described by the quadratic Stark Hamiltonian, which takes into account both linear and quadratic terms in the electric field.

2. How is the quadratic Stark effect different from the linear Stark effect?

The linear Stark effect only considers the linear term in the electric field, while the quadratic Stark effect takes into account both the linear and quadratic terms. This results in a more complex energy level structure and can lead to additional spectral features in the atomic or molecular spectrum.

3. What causes the quadratic Stark effect?

The quadratic Stark effect is caused by the interaction between the electric field and the electric dipole moment of the atom or molecule. The quadratic term arises due to the anharmonicity of the electric potential, which leads to a non-linear response to the electric field.

4. How is the quadratic Stark effect observed?

The quadratic Stark effect can be observed through spectroscopic techniques, such as laser-induced fluorescence or optical spectroscopy. These techniques allow for the measurement of the energy level shifts induced by the external electric field, which can then be analyzed to determine the strength of the quadratic Stark effect.

5. What are the applications of the quadratic Stark effect?

The quadratic Stark effect has various applications in fields such as atomic and molecular physics, quantum chemistry, and astrophysics. It can be used to study the structure and properties of atoms and molecules, as well as to probe the electric fields in different environments, such as in interstellar space. It also plays a crucial role in the design and operation of devices such as atomic clocks and quantum computers.