Understanding why we compute surface area as we do

In summary, the surface area of a geometric figure is dependent on the coordinate system used to describe it.
JD_PM

Homework Statement

Captura de pantalla (521).png

Homework Equations

Captura de pantalla (524).png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The solution to this problem is known. I want to use this exercise as a model to understand how to proceed when calculating the surface area of a geometric figure.

Captura de pantalla (526).png

Captura de pantalla (527).png

Question:

1) Why do we differentiate with respect to z to get dS?

I'd say because in the constraining figure (in this case a cylinder which lies on the xy plane), while we move through the figure, we're changing ##z## coordinate.
I guess that if the cylinder were to lie on the, say, yz axis we'd differentiate with respect to x.

Am I right?

Attachments

• Screenshot (242).png
    Screenshot (242).png
    3.8 KB · Views: 208
  • Captura de pantalla (521).png
    Captura de pantalla (521).png
    2 KB · Views: 506
  • Captura de pantalla (524).png
    Captura de pantalla (524).png
    6.1 KB · Views: 535
  • Captura de pantalla (526).png
    Captura de pantalla (526).png
    6.2 KB · Views: 531
  • Captura de pantalla (527).png
    Captura de pantalla (527).png
    13.1 KB · Views: 541
Physics news on Phys.org
JD_PM said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 240507

Homework Equations

View attachment 240508

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The solution to this problem is known. I want to use this exercise as a model to understand how to proceed when calculating the surface area of a geometric figure.

View attachment 240509
View attachment 240510
Question:

1) Why do we differentiate with respect to z to get dS?

I'd say because in the constraining figure (in this case a cylinder which lies on the xy plane), while we move through the figure, we're changing ##z## coordinate.
I guess that if the cylinder were to lie on the, say, yz axis we'd differentiate with respect to x.

Am I right?
I wouldn't put it that way. As you move along the surface you are changing x and y also, so just because z is changing is not the reason. The sphere ##x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4a^2## defines any of its variables implicitly as functions of the other two variables. So you could consider ##y## as a function of ##x## and ##z##, ##x## as a function of ##y## and ##z##, or ##z## as a function of ##x## and ##y##. The reason to choose which one is usually given by looking at the particular problem and the shape and ease of working with the domain of the independent variables. In this problem, the ##x,y## domain is a semicircle whose equation is basically given in the problem so that is a reasonable choice. Whether to use rectangular coordinates in the first place is preferable is another question. I might have more to say about that later today if I have time.

Likes JD_PM

1. Why do we need to compute surface area?

Surface area is an important concept in mathematics and science. It helps us to understand the physical properties of objects, such as their size, shape, and volume. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as engineering, architecture, and chemistry.

2. How is surface area calculated?

The surface area of an object is calculated by finding the total area of all its faces or surfaces. For example, a cube has six faces, and to find its surface area, we add the area of each face together.

3. Why do we use specific formulas to calculate surface area?

Different shapes have different formulas for calculating surface area because each shape has a unique set of dimensions and properties. These formulas have been developed through mathematical principles and have been proven to be accurate in calculating surface area.

4. What is the importance of understanding how we compute surface area?

Understanding how we compute surface area allows us to accurately measure and compare the size and shape of objects. It also helps us to solve real-world problems, such as determining the amount of material needed to cover a surface or the rate of heat transfer between objects.

5. How is surface area related to other mathematical concepts?

Surface area is closely related to other mathematical concepts, such as volume and perimeter. It is also used in calculus to calculate the surface area of more complex shapes and in geometry to determine the surface area of 3-dimensional objects.