Understanding Writing: How to Avoid Losing Track of Your Own Thoughts

  • Thread starter Thread starter tgt
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
tgt
Messages
519
Reaction score
2
I am doing a long 'essay' which is essentially an expansion of a graduate level proof but each time I write something like a lemma down and then try to go back to it, I don't seem to be able to understand it. In other words, I don't seem to understand what I wrote down myself. I do seem to understand it at the moment of writing it down. Why? Does this happen to anyone else?

How can it be corrected?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well its happened to me before in the sense that when I wrote that original stuff down, it actually had an error in it and didnt make sense. When I took some rest and came back to it, I look at it for a while wondering what I don't get, and finally realize that I was wrong lol. Just make sure you are taking good rest, read through it slowly, and if that doesn't work, it will most likely be solved if you get a fresh pair of eyes on it =]
 
Gib Z said:
Well its happened to me before in the sense that when I wrote that original stuff down, it actually had an error in it and didnt make sense. When I took some rest and came back to it, I look at it for a while wondering what I don't get, and finally realize that I was wrong lol. Just make sure you are taking good rest, read through it slowly, and if that doesn't work, it will most likely be solved if you get a fresh pair of eyes on it =]

What level is yours?

A graduate level lemma can be two or more pages.
 
Well its happened to me on many different things, on many different levels. Regardless, the procedure is the same.
 
My immediate thought is "you didn't understand it properly in the first place".
 
Cexy said:
My immediate thought is "you didn't understand it properly in the first place".

You are right, I didn't understand it. Wasn't it Feynman who said, 'I don't understand something until I'm able to create it'.
 
Cexy said:
My immediate thought is "you didn't understand it properly in the first place".

I agree. This is part of the proofreading process. If you write something, then set it aside, and go back again, if it doesn't make sense to you, it certainly won't make sense to someone else. It means you need to edit/revise and make it clearer.
 
I am writing a report with 1 word per hour speed :cry:.