Unexpected light from some reactions

In summary: Could this be due to the excited intermediates emitting lots of light?In summary, the researchers found that light is emitted in exothermic reactions involving sodium hydroxide. They are looking for suggestions on how to further study this phenomena.
leosilv
dear all,
in a series of experiments on the interaction between sodium hydroxide and other molecules such as water, Triton X-100, formaldehyde and others, we found emission of light. Besides the formaldehyde-NaOH interaction, i.e. the Cannizzaro reaction in which some intermediates may form undergoing highly energetic transitions, we have no useful ideas of the mechanism reponsible for such light emission. Our equipment is insensitive to thermophotons, so the exothermicity of the above reactions as the primary source of measurable photons should not be directly involved. Aiming to go more in depth into the aforementioned phenomenon, please consider this post a call for suggestions and/or partnership.
thanks,
Leopoldo Silvestroni

Chemistry news on Phys.org
could you use a spectrometer to determine their frequencies and thereby what series they might belong to baumann. lyman...? Maybe that would help determine the chemical bond that was creating the light.

jedishrfu said:
could you use a spectrometer to determine their frequencies and thereby what series they might belong to baumann. lyman...? Maybe that would help determine the chemical bond that was creating the light.

I don't know much about physical chemistry. What is the baumann series? Do you mean Balmer series?

jedishrfu said:

Roughly, emitted light is in the green-blue region, as assessed by a photomultiplier tube close to the reaction vessel with (broad band) thin plastic filters in between

Have you tried removing substances to see if you get the same behavior with fewer reactants?

Reptillian said:
Have you tried removing substances to see if you get the same behavior with fewer reactants?

yes. water-NaOH, water-TritonX100, formaldehyde-NaOH are some examples. Light was produced in all the above reactions, though with different intensities (photons per sec)

Is the total light intensity equal to the sum of the intensities from the individual reactions? I'm assuming these are exothermic reactions? If so, could this be due to increased radiation (blackbody) from the increase in temperature?

I assume that all of these experiments were conducted in absolute darkness?

pa5tabear said:
I don't know much about physical chemistry. What is the baumann series? Do you mean Balmer series?

Yes balmer series, my bad memory, sorry.

Reptillian said:
Is the total light intensity equal to the sum of the intensities from the individual reactions? I'm assuming these are exothermic reactions? If so, could this be due to increased radiation (blackbody) from the increase in temperature?

I'm referring to individual reactions only. The "simplest" example is dropping water onto solid NaOH. Which excited intermediates relaxe with photon emission in our spectral window? (our photomultiplier tube has a 330-550nm spectral sensitivity).
Note: when potassium hydroxide or barium hydroxide are substituted for NaOH, NO light is produced.
Light emission comparable to the above also occurs in the more complex and intermediate-rich formaldheyde-NaOH reaction (i.e. Cannizzaro's reaction).
Moreover, light emission is also produced upon mixing hypochloride and sodium ascorbate solutions, a reaction occurring without apparent heat production.

chemisttree said:
I assume that all of these experiments were conducted in absolute darkness?
Ground signal from our apparatus is always below 30-50 photons per sec. The cited reactions give a photon output of even dozens of thousands of photons

What is unexpected light from some reactions?

Unexpected light from some reactions refers to the phenomenon where light is produced as a result of a chemical or physical reaction, even though light is not typically associated with that specific reaction. This can be seen in a variety of reactions, including combustion, oxidation, and certain nuclear reactions.

What causes unexpected light from some reactions?

The production of light in reactions is caused by the release of energy in the form of photons. This energy can be released due to a change in the energy levels of electrons, or due to the breaking and forming of chemical bonds. In some cases, the energy released can be in the form of visible light, resulting in the production of unexpected light.

Why is the production of unexpected light from some reactions important?

The production of light in reactions can provide valuable information about the energy changes and mechanisms involved in a reaction. It can also be used to detect and monitor reactions, as well as to identify the presence of certain substances. In addition, the production of light can have practical applications, such as in glow sticks and chemiluminescent reactions used in assays.

Can the production of unexpected light be controlled?

In some cases, the production of unexpected light can be controlled by altering the conditions of the reaction, such as temperature, pressure, or the concentration of reactants. This can be useful in industrial processes where light production needs to be controlled for safety or efficiency. However, in some cases, unexpected light may be a side effect of the reaction and cannot be controlled.

What further research is needed to understand unexpected light from some reactions?

While the production of light in reactions has been studied for many years, there is still much to be learned about the underlying mechanisms and factors that contribute to unexpected light. Further research is needed to fully understand and control the production of light in reactions, as well as to explore potential applications of this phenomenon.

Back