1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Circular Motion, Acceleration problem

1. May 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cat rides a merry-go-round turning with uniform circular motion. At time t1 = 2.00 s, the cat’s velocity is V1 = (3.00 m/s)i + (4.00 m/s)j , measured on a horizontal xy coordinate system. At t2 = 5.00 s, the cat’s velocity is V2 = (3.00 m/s)i + (4.00 m/s)j.
    What are (a) the magnitude of the cat’s centripetal acceleration and (b) the cat’s average acceleration during the time interval t2 - t1, which is less than one period?

2. Relevant equations

T = 2πr/V
    a = V2/r

3. The attempt at a solution

So, the first thing I did was sketch the situation, and the vectors seem to be on the opposite end of the circumference, so i tested for that:

V1 * V2 = V1x * V2x + V1y * V2y = 3*(-3) + 4*(-4) = -25
    V1 * V2 = V1 * V2 CosΘ = √32+42*√(-3)2+(-4)2 = 25 CosΘ → CosΘ = -1 → Θ = Cos-1(-1) = 180°

So it's proven that the cat is in two different positions that cover half of the circumference, which means that
    Δt = ½T
    Δt = t2-t1 = 5s-2s = 3s
    T = 2Δt = 3s * 2 = 6s
    T = 2πr/V → r = TV/2π = 6s * 5 m/s / 2π = 4,8 m
    a = V2/r → (5 m/s)2/4,8 m = 5,2 m/s2

So this should answer the first part of the problem, now I'm asked to find the average acceleration, and I'm not sure what approach is the correct one, I know the equation for the average acceleration is:

aavg = V2 - V1 / t2 - t1

And I am not sure if I should consider just the magnitude of the two velocities, which means that aavg = 0, or if I should solve in unit vector notation, doing the following:

aavg = V2 - V1 / t2 - t1 = (-3-3)i + (-4-4)j / 3s = -2i -2,67j → aavg = √(-2)2+(-2,67)2 = 3,3 m/s2

What is the correct way to answer the second question?

(also, kinda off topic, is there a way to write fractions and vectors on the forum?)

Thanks in advance, Ivan.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2017 #2
    Umh, the spam filter is not letting me edit the post, but of course the equation for the average acceleration is

aavg = V2 - V1 / t2 - t1

And I have used that in the calculations.

4. May 9, 2017 #3

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is this correct? It looks like V1 = V2 which means that the cat has made a complete revolution. Did you miss a negative sign somewhere?

5. May 9, 2017 #4
    Oh, indeed, both signs are negative in V2, i can't edit the OP, but the correct data is
    V1 = (3.00 m/s)i + (4.00 m/s)j
    V2 = (-3.00 m/s)i + (-4.00 m/s)j

6. May 9, 2017 #5

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Part (a) looks fine.
    You must use unit vector notation to find the angular acceleration. I would also say that, since the question asks for the average acceleration and not its magnitude, you should leave in unit vector form.
    Yes, there is a way to write fractions and all sorts of other algebraic expressions. Click on the link "LaTeX", near bottom left next to the question mark.

7. May 9, 2017 #6
    Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted