1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform circular motion and coordinate system

1. Jun 21, 2008 #1
    2. In the figure below the particle P is in uniform circular motion. The motion is centered on the origin of an xy coordinate system.
    (a) At what values of [tex]\vartheta[/tex] is the vertical component r[tex]_{y}[/tex] of the position vector greatest in magnitude?
    (b) At what values of [tex]\vartheta[/tex] is the vertical component v[tex]_{y}[/tex] of the particle’s velocity greatest in magnitude?
    (c) At what values of [tex]\vartheta[/tex] is the vertical component a[tex]_{y}[/tex] of the particle’s acceleration greatest in magnitude?

a. How can radius have a vertical component? It's just a distance or would it be a displacement?

b. Isn't velocity always tangential to the circle so how would there be a y component? Or does he just mean when it points in the y direction like at zero and 180 degrees?

c. Would it be 90 degrees and 270 because it only has a vertical component?

Any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2008 #2
    The figure is in my gravitational force post. I don't know how to move it. It's question 2.

4. Jun 21, 2008 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the basic idea correct. The magnitude of the y component of each vector is greatest when the whole vector lies along the y-axis. So, your answers to b) and c) are correct.

For part a) you are working with a position vector, not just a distance. The radial position vector points outward from the origin toward the object. Can you answer part a) now?

5. Jun 21, 2008 #4
    Yea I can answer it now. I just didn't know it was a vector thought it was just a scalar. Shouldn't it just be at 90 degrees and 270 again?

6. Jun 21, 2008 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You got it.:smile:

7. Jun 21, 2008 #6
    Thanks for the help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?