Motion of a particle in a uniform magnetic field

In summary: The particle will move around the circle twice in total.It will first move in a counterclockwise direction and then move in a clockwise direction.The x displacement will be (-π/4, π/4) and the y displacement will be (π/4, -π/4).
Physics lover
Homework Statement
A uniform magnetic field exists given by B=b k^ . A particle of mass m and charge q is present in magnetic field has an initial velocity v=v (i^+j^+k^). Find the particle's position and velocity after t seconds.

All i could think is that the z component of velocity will remain unchnged as there is no force in that direction.And for the x and y component can we imagine the helical motion as a superposition of a circle and a straight line.So for x and y component can we solve for a particle moving in a circular path.
Relevant Equations
F=qVBsintheta
Radius=mV/qB
All i could think is that the z component of velocity will remain unchnged as there is no force in that direction.And for the x and y component can we imagine the helical motion as a superposition of a circle and a straight line.So for x and y component can we solve for a particle moving in a circular path.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the correct formula for Radius=mV/(qB). You are correct that the magnetic field will not have a force in the k direction, so you need to figure out the portion of v which is responsible for the resultant force.

scottdave said:
I believe the correct formula for Radius=mV/(qB). You are correct that the magnetic field will not have a force in the k direction, so you need to figure out the portion of v which is responsible for the resultant force.
I think they are i and j components.

Physics lover said:
Problem Statement: A uniform magnetic field exists given by B=b k^ . A particle of mass m and charge q is present in magnetic field has an initial velocity v=v (i^+j^+k^). Find the particle's position and velocity after t seconds.

Relevant Equations: F=qVBsintheta
Radius=mV/qB

for x and y component can we solve for a particle moving in a circular path.
Yes. I don't see an initial position specified. Is it the origin?
What do you get for the x and y displacements after time t?

haruspex said:
Yes. I don't see an initial position specified. Is it the origin?
What do you get for the x and y displacements after time t?
There is no specified position in the question.I think the particle wil be on the middle of quarter circumference of the circle in the 2nd quadrant.Because then only the direction of force will be pointing towards origin.

Physics lover said:
There is no specified position in the question.I think the particle wil be on the middle of quarter circumference of the circle in the 2nd quadrant.Because then only the direction of force will be pointing towards origin.
Wherever the particle starts it will describe an identical helix, just shifted in the XY plane.

What is the formula for the motion of a particle in a uniform magnetic field?

The formula for the motion of a particle in a uniform magnetic field is F = q(v x B), where F is the force exerted on the particle, q is the charge of the particle, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the particle's motion?

The direction of the magnetic field determines the direction of the force exerted on the particle. If the magnetic field is perpendicular to the particle's velocity, the particle will experience a force that causes it to move in a circular path.

What is the difference between a uniform and non-uniform magnetic field?

A uniform magnetic field has the same strength and direction at all points in space, while a non-uniform magnetic field has varying strength and/or direction at different points in space. This can affect the motion of a particle, as the force exerted on the particle will be different in different parts of the field.

Can the speed of the particle change in a uniform magnetic field?

Yes, if the magnetic field is not perpendicular to the particle's velocity, the force exerted on the particle will have a component that changes the speed of the particle. However, the direction of the velocity will remain constant.

How does the mass of the particle affect its motion in a uniform magnetic field?

The mass of the particle does not affect its motion in a uniform magnetic field, as the formula for the force does not include mass. However, the mass does affect the particle's acceleration, which can impact the trajectory of its motion.