Uniform Circular Motion for particle of mass

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m=1kg moves counterclockwise in a horizontal circle of radius r=1m with uniform speed of 1 m/s. Determine the velocity, acceleration, total force and the component of the the total force on the particle in direction of its velocity as a function of the angle.

Homework Equations

a = v*v / r
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Velocity = - 1 m/s
(negative sign is to indicate the direction of the particle moving counterclockwise)

Acceleration, a = 1

Total force,F = 1N

Is there anyone can help me to confirm my answer? Especially the velocity....

Answers and Replies

Doc Al
Mentor
Velocity, acceleration, and force are all vectors. You must specify their direction as a function of angle. (I would use unit vectors and some trig functions.)

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author

The Attempt at a Solution

Velocity = - 1 m/s
(negative sign is to indicate the direction of the particle moving counterclockwise)

Acceleration, a = 1

Total force,F = 1N

Is there anyone can help me to confirm my answer? Especially the velocity....

I'm not familiar with using negative values to express the counterclockwise direction, is that a convention your professor said to use? It may be that just saying "1 m/s, counterclockwise" could be sufficient.

Your values for a and F are correct, but you are probably expected to indicate their direction as well.

EDIT: ahh, Doc Al responded faster than I.

Thanks for the comments! I will try again ^.^

Shouldn't you express the velocity in terms of rad/s since the last part say express as a function of the angle? If that is the case then acceleration would have to change too?

Doc Al
Mentor
They are asking about linear velocity (the tangential velocity) not angular velocity.