Uniform circular motion for proton and 2 particles

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the energy of two particles moving in a uniform magnetic field on a circular orbit. The solution involved using the kinetic energy formula and the velocity formula for uniform circular motion. The final calculations showed that the energy of particle 1 is half of the proton's kinetic energy while the energy of particle 2 is equal to the proton's kinetic energy. The mentor confirmed that the solution was correct.
cseil
[Note by mentor: This thread does not use the homework template because it was moved here from a non-homework forum.]

Hello,
I have a problem with this exercise. I don't know if my solution is right! Could you check it, please?

A proton with kinetic energy Kp is moving in a uniform magnetic field on a circular orbit.
I have to calculate the energy of two particles moving on the same orbit knowing that:
particle 1 : q=+e, m=2u
particle 2: q=+2e, m=4u

[itex]Kp = 1/2 mv^2[/itex]
[itex]v = qBr/m[/itex] (uniform circular motion).

So

[itex]Kp = 1/2 q^2B^2r^2/m[/itex]

proton: [itex]Kp = \frac{1}{2} \frac{e^2B^2r^2}{u}[/itex]

particle 1: [itex]K = \frac{1}{2} \frac{e^2B^2r^2}{2u} = Kp/2[/itex]

particle 2: [itex]K = \frac {1}{2} \frac{4e^22B^2r^2}{4u} = Kp[/itex]

Is that right?
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I think it is right.

Thank you.
I'm sorry but I didn't see the Homework section, won't happen again!

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion refers to the motion of an object along a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object moves at the same speed and direction throughout the circular path.

2. How does a proton move in uniform circular motion?

A proton moves in uniform circular motion when it is subjected to a constant force that is always directed towards the center of the circular path. This force is known as centripetal force and it keeps the proton moving in a circular path with a constant speed.

3. What is the relationship between the speed of a proton and the radius of its circular path?

The speed of a proton in uniform circular motion is directly proportional to the radius of its circular path. This means that as the radius of the circular path increases, the speed of the proton also increases and vice versa.

4. Is the acceleration of a proton constant in uniform circular motion?

Yes, the acceleration of a proton in uniform circular motion is constant. This is because the proton is constantly changing its direction as it moves along the circular path, even though its speed remains constant. The centripetal force acting on the proton provides this constant acceleration.

5. Can two particles move in uniform circular motion with different speeds?

Yes, two particles can move in uniform circular motion with different speeds as long as they are subjected to different centripetal forces. This means that the particles will have different radii for their circular paths, resulting in different speeds for each particle.