Uniform Circular Motion frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab conducted to determine the relationship between the frequency of revolution of an object in uniform circular motion and the magnitude of the force, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the object. The results showed that the force is proportional to the frequency squared, the radius is proportional to the inverse of the frequency squared, and the mass is also proportional to the inverse of the frequency squared. The equations for the three relationships were also provided, and the conversation mentions the need to combine these equations to obtain an equation for frequency in terms of tension, radius, and mass. The conversation ends with a request for help with combining the equations and a mention of discrepancies in the data.
DevilTemptations
Yesterday I did a lab with the purpose of determining the relationship between the frequency of revolution of an object in uniform circular motion and
1)the magnitude of the force (causing the circular motion)
2)the radius of the circular path
3)the mass of the object.

Well by graphing my observations, I was able to determine that the force is proportional to the frequency squared. The radius is proportional to the inverse of the frequency squared. The mass is also proportional to the inverse of the frequency squared.

By determing the line of best fit of these three graphs, I got the equations

Force=0.2639(frequency) - 0.1176
Radius=2.3983(frequency) + 0.1209
Mass=0.0343(frequency) - 0.0011

I also converted my proportionality statements into equations
frequency= force / k square rooted
frequency = k / radius square rooted
frequency = k / mass square rooted

Apparently I have to combine my "three results" to obtain an equation for the frequency in terms of the tension(force), the radius and the mass. It should provide the same answers if I checked it with data points as the equation SIGMA FORCE = 4PIE^2mrf^2 (There is obviousy going to be some disrepancies but it should be a close result)

HOW DO I COMBINE EQUATIONS?? HELP! :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
I am doing the same lab but my data is not correct what data did you get?

As a scientist, it is important to understand the relationship between different variables in an experiment. In this case, you have determined that the frequency of revolution in uniform circular motion is related to the force, radius, and mass of the object. To combine these equations, you can use the concept of dimensional analysis.

First, let's look at the equation you have provided: SIGMA FORCE = 4PIE^2mrf^2. This is known as the centripetal force equation, and it relates the force (tension) to the mass, radius, and frequency of the circular motion. In order to combine your equations, you will need to manipulate them to be in a similar form.

Starting with the equation for force, we can rearrange it to solve for frequency:

Frequency = force / k square rooted

Next, we can substitute this equation for frequency into the equation for radius:

Radius = 2.3983(frequency) + 0.1209
Radius = 2.3983(force / k square rooted) + 0.1209

We can do the same for the equation for mass:

Mass = 0.0343(frequency) - 0.0011
Mass = 0.0343(force / k square rooted) - 0.0011

Now, we can substitute these equations into the centripetal force equation:

SIGMA FORCE = 4PIE^2mrf^2
SIGMA FORCE = 4PIE^2(force / k square rooted)^2 * 2.3983(force / k square rooted) * 0.0343(force / k square rooted)

Simplifying this equation will give you an equation for frequency in terms of force, radius, and mass. It may be helpful to use dimensional analysis to ensure that all units are consistent throughout the equation.

I hope this helps you understand how to combine equations in a scientific context. Remember to always pay attention to units and make sure your equations are consistent. Good luck with your future experiments!

1. What is uniform circular motion frequency?

Uniform circular motion frequency is the number of complete revolutions or cycles that occur in a given amount of time in a circular motion. It is measured in hertz (Hz) and is equal to the reciprocal of the period of the motion.

2. How is frequency related to the speed and radius in uniform circular motion?

Frequency is directly proportional to the speed and inversely proportional to the radius in uniform circular motion. This means that as the speed increases, the frequency also increases, while as the radius increases, the frequency decreases.

3. What is the formula for calculating uniform circular motion frequency?

The formula for calculating uniform circular motion frequency is f = v/2πr, where f is the frequency, v is the speed, and r is the radius of the circular motion.

4. How does frequency affect the period of uniform circular motion?

Frequency and period are inversely related in uniform circular motion. This means that as the frequency increases, the period decreases and vice versa. This is because frequency is the inverse of period.

5. What are some real-life examples of uniform circular motion frequency?

Some examples of uniform circular motion frequency in everyday life are the rotation of a Ferris wheel, the motion of a satellite in orbit around the Earth, and the rotation of a ceiling fan. These motions have a constant frequency, meaning they complete the same number of revolutions in a given amount of time.