1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Circular Motion: Speed of the bullet

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Derive a formula for the bullet speed v in terms of D, T, and a measured angle theta between the position of the hole in the first disk and that of the hole in the second. If required, use pi, not its numeric equivalent. Both of the holes lie at the same radial distance from the shaft. theta measures the angular displacement between the two holes; for instance, \theta = 0 means that the holes are in a line and \theta=\pi means that when one hole is up, the other is down. Assume that the bullet must travel through the set of disks within a single revolution.

2. Relevant equations

So, I know that speed = 2*pi*r/t and that speed = r*omega. but I don't know how to factor in the theta. Can someone please derive the whole thing and explain? Thank you.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You didn't describe the problem completely, but I assume you're dealing with a two-disk velocity selector? The disks are moving at some angular speed omega?

If so, here's a hint: How much time does it take for a disk to move through the angle theta?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook