How can I solve for the mass and radius in this uniform circular motion problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a toy airplane tied to the ceiling and moving in a horizontal circle with a constant speed of 1.01 m/s. The angle of the string with the vertical is 38° and the tension of the string is 1.1N. The problem asks for the radius of the circle and the mass of the plane. To solve, it is suggested to draw a free body diagram and use Newton's 2nd law to find a relationship to solve for the mass and then the radius.
ajcairns1980

Homework Statement

A toy airplane is tied to the ceiling with a string. When the airplane's motor is started, it moves with a constant speed of 1.01 m/s in a horizontal circle, as illustrated in the figure. If the angle the string makes with the vertical is 38°, and the tension of the string is 1.1N:

(a) Find the radius of the horizontal circle of the plane
b) Find the mass of the plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

Im having problems understanding how to attack physics problems a point in the right direction would help! I think I am supposed to split this into components using the angle. I drew a FBD with only tension and mg as acting forces. Do I use Newtons 2nd law?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing to do is to make a picture. You'll notice that there are only 2 forces acting on the plane. Namely, tension and gravity.

You know that the horizontal motion is circular, so that leads to Fnet = mv^2/r
You know Fnet in the x direction, and velocity. Find a relationship to solve for the mass and then you'll only be left with radius as a variable, which is easily solved for.

What is Uniform Circular Motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is always moving at the same speed, but is constantly changing direction.

What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

The main difference between uniform and non-uniform circular motion is that in uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant, while in non-uniform circular motion, the speed changes at different points in the circular path.

What is the centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In uniform circular motion, this force is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for constantly changing the direction of the object's motion.

What is the relationship between centripetal force and angular velocity?

The centripetal force and angular velocity are directly proportional. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the centripetal force also increases, and vice versa.

How is uniform circular motion related to Newton's first law of motion?

Uniform circular motion is an example of Newton's first law of motion, which states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In uniform circular motion, the object has a constant velocity in terms of speed, but is constantly changing direction due to the centripetal force acting on it.