1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform plane wave (help with a short walkthrough for a worked problem)

1. Nov 26, 2006 #1
    I don't understand something on this problem:

Q: A uniform plane wave with [itex] \vec E = \hat x E_x [/itex] propagates in a lossless simple medium ([itex] \epsilon_r = 4 \,\,\,\, \mu_r = 1 \,\,\,\, \sigma = 0 [/itex]) in the +z-direction. Assume that [itex] E_x [/itex] is sinusoidal with a frequency of 100 (MHz) and has a maximum value of [itex]+10^{-4} [/itex] (V/m) at [itex] t=0 [/itex] and [itex] z = \frac{1}{8} [/itex] (m)

Write the instantaneous expression for [itex] \vec E [/itex] for any t and z.

A:
    Using [itex] \cos \omega t [/itex] as a reference, we find the instantaneous expression for [itex] \vec E [/itex] to be:

[tex] \vec E(z,t) = \hat x E_x = \hat x 10^{-4} \cos ( 2 \pi 10^8 t - kz + \psi) [/tex]

Since [itex] E_x [/itex] equals [itex] +10^{-4} [/itex] when the argument of the cosine function equals zero, that is when:

[tex] 2 \pi 10^8 - kz + \psi = 0 [/tex]

we have at [itex] t = 0 [/itex], [itex] z = \frac{1}{8} [/itex]

[tex] \psi = kz = \frac{4 \pi}{3} \frac{1}{8} = \frac{\pi}{6} [/tex]

My question follows from this:
    Why do we introduce the phase unknown phase [itex] \psi [/itex] and set [itex] E_x [/itex] according to this. Why couldn't we do this instead,

A:
    Using [itex] \cos \omega t [/itex] as a reference, we find the instantaneous expression for [itex] \vec E [/itex] to be:

[tex] \vec E(z,t) = \hat x E_x = \hat x E_0 \cos ( 2 \pi 10^8 t - kz) [/tex]

Set the according t=0, z=1/8 so that,
    [tex] \hat x E_0 \cos ( 2 \pi 10^8 (0) - k(\frac{1}{8}) = 10^{-4}[/tex] and meet the initial condition of a max of 10^-4 with [itex] E_0 [/itex] instead of setting E_0 originally and changing the phase.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I forget -- what is k in terms of lambda? It seems like the phi and the kz can influence the final equation under different constraints -- I could be wrong of course.

4. Nov 27, 2006 #3

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you used

[tex] \hat x E_0 \cos ( 2 \pi 10^8 (0) - k(\frac{1}{8}) = 10^{-4}[/tex]

the maximum would not be 10^-4 and at t = 0 the maximum would be at z = 0.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  5. Nov 27, 2006 #4
    oooooooooooooooooohhhh :)

Thanks man, that definitely makes sense! I really appreciate it.

berkeman:

[tex] k = \omega \sqrt{\mu \epsilon} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?